Who is Your Favourite James Bond?

That sounded…hopeful at best?

As most rumours do. But this was a fun one. And I love to imagine seven regularly coming Brosnan Bond films until 2007.

Makes you wonder if that would have happened if the Bourne films weren’t made, and I guess going even further, if 9/11 didn’t happen. Bond apparently having to harden up and compete with a grittier tone. A parallel universe indeed. Good thing I love both Brosnan and Craig eras. They’ve been the main men across what will be nine films when all is said and done. A big thank you to both.

2 Likes

And if MGM hadn’t begun this skipping rocks approach to bankruptcy.

2 Likes

Has anyone’s ranking changed since?

Mine is still the same:

1. Connery
  2. Moore
  3. Craig
  4. Brosnan
  5. Dalton
  6. Lazenby

Gone back and forth on this and in a meandering sort of way here is an explanation followed by the ranking(s)
All obviously my subjective opinion:
Best Bond technically- Craig ( bafta nom anyone? ), Similarly to Dalton he went back to Fleming and showed what killing does to the soul and then over his tenure has added layers of humour, style and polish to his performance, mirroring in a plausible way how humans cope.
Dalton had neither the time nor the director to fully round his characterisation, which is a real shame.
Connery took the novels and decided to start at ( in Craig terms) Skyfall and riff off the sophisticated surface of a psychopath brilliantly. Then even more brilliantly sends up his own performance as it went on.
Moore was perfect for the time and his movies are perfect documents of the time each was made, his maturity and lightness of touch allowed, by the early 80s a three deminsional character to emerge from the cheeky bon vivant.
Lazenby was obviously in over his head but that fear translates brilliantly onto the screen in the perfect story for that performance. His gravitas and basic decency as a human being shines through and I would argue that as an inexperienced actor, his performance is probably closest to him George , which is quite a thing to watch and why I agree with someone on the thread who said they were glad he only did one. It’s my favourite film but probably because of its uniqueness.
Brosnan was let down badly by scripts , the style of films being made in the late 90s and his performance regresses , in my opinion, from the highlights of Goldeneye and TND. His was a bit of a wasted opportunity I feel and I have always felt a bit sorry for Brosnan.
All that being said, my favourite James Bond is Connery…( Subjectivity and emotion are strange things)

1. Connery
  2. Craig
  3. Moore
  4. Dalton
  5. Lazenby
  6. Brosnan
    All that being said I doubt any of their contemporaries would have done better jobs with the role.
1 Like

I agree with everything written here, except the final ranking :crazy_face:

Sir Rog: my first and my definitive Bond. I know this is a terrible reason but I’m afraid I just can’t help myself
Connery: iconic
Craig: has really evolved brilliantly in the role. For anyone who says he can’t do humour, I refer them to the scene in the Hoffler Clinic juice bar
Dalton: captures the edginess brilliantly but, because my fav is Sir Rog, I always feel like Bond should be less flustered
Lazenby: great job. I’d have been interested in his second Bond but fear we wouldn’t be on Bond 25 if he had stuck around
Brozza: exhibit A… the Terri Hatcher love scene. Exhibit B… his overacting when Reynard grabs his shoulder. That said, he was what we needed in 95 and for that I thank him👏

1 Like

Im glad , weirdly for the exact same reasons your ranking makes sense too, that’s art!

1 Like

Brosnan overacting NEVER :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Oh, that cheered me up nicely just now., Thanks!

2 Likes

I have nothing against Daniel craig as an actor, he looks like he can handle himself in a fight, but i don’t think he looks suave enough, even in a tuxedo. He does not look like a passenger flying first class on Virgin, more like a Ryan Air or easy jet traveller

1 Like

Craig has done comedy well throughout his entire run:

“You’re miss Stephanie Broadchest…you’re gonna have to trust me on this.”
“She has handcuffs,” “I do hope so.”
“In your defense, a moving target is much harder to hit.”

1 Like