Wishlisting: Bond 2020s

I don’t remember if it was Cubby or one of his kids but someone said"When in doubt go back to Fleming."
Dalton and Craig tried to use Fleming as a template for the character. There’s plenty of stuff left in the books. Heck, use some of the decent bits in the continuation novels if needed.

2 Likes

Well, there were some commonalities, even if superficial:

• same editor
  • same cinematographer
  • longer run time
  • overall stakes spelled out in dialogue rather than being readily apparent

Delving deeper into a wish list for the decade:

• at least one femme fatale / henchwoman proper; while Craig had none to date, I forget that Brosnan had some 3 or 4
  • more memorable henchmen; Mr. Hinx came the closest but even then, as funny as Dave Bautista is as Drax the Destroyer, they could’ve gotten more mileage out of him
  • a major key love theme for the opening titles a la YOLT, TSWLM through OP, LTK; sadly, I think this is probably long gone, as everyone who’s done a Bond theme in the last 30 years immediately went to it having to be in a minor key
  • if the 165 minute run time is to be believed, then I would like to see them back to being a bit shorter; not pendulum swinging from CR record longest to QOS record shortest, just a happy medium
  • Bond in his naval uniform (something we didn’t get out of the Craig era)
2 Likes

More common in Bond films than Nolan’s work, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service in particular springs to mind. OHMSS is a film, and book, that Spectre yanks many plot elements from.

Also, by all 4 categories Skyfall and Star Trek Nemesis are the same movie.

Baird, Logan and many plot points in common

1 Like

Yep. OHMSS really is the template for the modern Bond film. Another reason why I love it so!

1 Like

I did not know that. I never finished reading OHMSS so you have piqued my curiosity. I will make it the next Bond that I read.

Anyway, this is all just my opinion. SP had, to me, a feel similar to some of Nolan’s recent films at the time, such as “Inception”, which I found a disappointing bore, and “Interstellar”, which I liked a bit more but found too long. On further examination, I found some of the same people contributed to the shape of said films.

I’m sorry you didn’t like Inception. I feel the opposite, preferring Inception over Interstellar. I think the former gives more on each rewatch.

1 Like

I wanted to see Craig in Uniform also, Especially after M used YOLT obit.