2022: the 60th anniversary - your wishlist

The “60 Years of Bond” charity auction raised $7,393,745 - 5 times the estimate

8 Likes

Omega’s 60th anniversary watches…

The 2nd one features 18K Canopus gold in green and yellow diamonds in tribute to the Jamaican flag, and a natural grey silicon dial inspired by the sands of Goldeneye. It comes in a box made from the wood of a mango tree.

4 Likes

My word that bejewelled one is garish.
Nothing better to celebrate the 60th anniversary of a swarve and sophisticated secret agent than a yellow and green diamond encusted bezel.
The face is inspired by the sands of Goldeneye? If they say so (honestly sounds like the spiel football kit manufacturers put out about their kits each year)

The blue face is great, just being an update of the beautiful Goldeneye - CR look. I like that the gunbarrel/60th logo is on the caseback.

:nauseated_face:

All these special editions are really getting ludicrous…

I’m just gonna set this right here…

2 Likes

Well, it is nice! And I suppose if I had to, I could leave my central heating off for the next 3 months :smile:

2 Likes

Noting at all about this suggests ‘James Bond’. The Jamaica flag colours but that’s all.

In fact it’s exactly the type of thing Fleming (and Bond) would find vulgar. To imply the face is somehow ‘inspired’ by the sands of Fleming’s home, therefore linking this to him, is incredibly tacky (not to mention using the Jamacan flag as an excuse to shove those diamonds on it and charge that much - any of the £137k going towards Jamaca?)

1 Like

Personally, I don’t need crazy expensive watches, vaguely related to Bond. Why not release something simpler and less expensive that normal people can afford like finally the movies on 4K discs?

1 Like

137,000 for a watch? Yeah, I’m going to have to say ‘no’ to that, not that I have the means to say ‘yes’ to it anyway. I mean, I get the idea of wanting a fancy watch as some kind of a status symbol or whatnot, but at the end of the day, it tells the time. I can get a watch at Walmart for 10-20 that will do that for me. My cell phone can tell me the time.

4 Likes

And if you choose the right phone wallpaper, it too can be inspired by the sands of Goldeneye.

4 Likes

A well done look at Bond’s 60th year. They forgot about Hayley Atwell a week ago!

3 Likes

Technically they could wait until September of 2023 to release a 4K box set and still fall within the 60th Anniversary Year. Why they didn’t have one out in October at the start of the anniversary festivities is truly baffling. The MGM/Amazon merger is the only thing I can think of that could have delayed or prevented a 4K box set.

1 Like

Sony legally still own Skyfall and Spectre. It’s probably waiting for the rights to elapse on the pair of them so that they can do a box-set that only Amazon/MGM get money for…

Not that studios are that petty…

3 Likes

Just my opinion here and I know I will be in the minority for this but…

I’ve thought for the last few years that the issue with no 4K discs is solely due to the fact that the market for discs is just too small now to do it.

When you think of the price they’d have to charge for 25 4K movies, which by itself makes it a niche release, then look at how small the market for them would be… I just don’t see it happening.

Unfortunately.

2 Likes

Sony only has distribution rights. MGM/EON owns Bond. Who currently has the home video rights? Is it Universal? I know 20th Century Fox had it when the 50th Anniversary Blu-ray Box Set came out.

Sony still owns Mendes 2 but it’s on a time limit (Skyfall might now be full Danjaq) - no idea how Universal plays with rights given MGM funded NTTD themselves with Universal only doing international (not US :roll_eyes:) distribution