Amazon in Talks to Buy MGM

Order!
:hammer:

3 Likes

I present one of the waiting land mines of simultaneous releasing; smug wan…

Critics

3 Likes

Lol of course that was the codename

2 Likes
1 Like

Another wonderful photo from JamesBond.com - a perfect comment on the current waiting game…

6 Likes

Can anyone say how solid this source is?

Given the source- total bollocks.

2 Likes

It’s really just what anybody mildly interested in the topic might speculate from what’s already known by Eon’s comments, mainly a repeat of statements reaching back into the 80s.

About Amazon’s ideas for Bond’s future we’ve heard nothing up to now. We can guess they want to monetise but that’s as far as it goes.

Clickbait.

2 Likes

Thanks! Let’s move on, then.
Nevertheless, I am a bit surprised that at this stage EON is so firmly speaking about potential TV productions (in reference to an interview for Total Film).

EON will keep veto power.

And that’s that.

Can you guide me if and where these statements from the 1980s can be found? I am asking because I am in the process of writing an article on this topic for my website.

I think MGW did a couple of statements during the late Moore era - OP/AVTAK - when home entertainment and rival Sony productions were a theme, that variously films and/or tv series. Can’t quote the specific words but the gist has always been that Bond’s home was the big screen.

Back then MGM started to squeeze the budget while the box office became an issue, a development that caused concern how to move on with Bond - not so far from where we are today again.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

We Got This Covered is very hit and miss. Their strategy seem to be ‘report everything’ and by law of averages some of it turns out to be correct.
I’ve gotten to the point where I actively avoid the site as they it irritates me too much.

3 Likes

True. We‘re at a point where even once respected trade papers like Variety and The Hollywood Reporter increasingly regurgitate rumours from fansites and message boards. So all these „insider sites“ like wegotthiscovered, joblo, cinemablend, darkhorizons etc. are not reliable, only once in a while right like a broken clock. Entertaining rumours, nothing one could not come up with by speculating oneself.

2 Likes

@secretagentfan @Vanya Thanks for clarification!

3 Likes

The problem is, FTC cannot just ‘block’ the deal - they’d have to sue and the final decision then rests with the judges. Meaning the entire paperwork - deal, FTC assessment, various particular surveys and advisory opinions in legalese - ends up in court. Where an FTC ruling not just has to cite opinions from one side or the other, but has to give reasons and proof based on actual effects of this deal and established law practice.

If that were easy it would already have happened. But Amazon can comfortably point to previous cases and the simple fact that them buying MGM doesn’t create a monopoly, far from. If this actually proceeds to the courts it’s going to be a tough case and the outcome, far from sure for the FTC, wouldn’t even affect the part of Amazon’s activities where they indeed may show monopolistic practice. In any case the FTC would have to aim for a shift in constant jurisdiction that’s going to be nothing less than fundamental.

We shall see how that turns out.

2 Likes

The “detail” that the US government currently pay Amazon for their server use does kind of make this a toothless threat.

yes, Jeff Bezos already has access to all of US intelligence…if the nuclear codes are on those servers, Bezos has graduated to Lewis Gilbert style Bond villain already.

3 Likes

There is definitely an air of ‘this has got to stop/change/improve somehow’ in US politics since both parties have identified big tech as a problem. But the insight comes late and the rationale how to approach this is lacking. The problem is less big tech and its economic boost but the system that allowed these corporations to outgrow the system itself.

4 Likes
2 Likes