Amazon in Talks to Buy MGM

2 Likes

Soā€¦ letā€˜s go, Bond no. 7?

2 Likes
2 Likes

I sure hope so. Iā€™m very happy with how No Time To Die wrapped up Craigā€™s tenure and am ready for what comes next. Also, does this mean all of the Bond films will be available on Prime video going forward?

1 Like

I think we need a poll to place bets on whether an Amazon logo will find itā€™s way into Bond 26

Alsoā€¦

ā€œWeā€™ve heard that Amazon isnā€™t intending to make any changes to the Bond franchise.ā€

2 Likes

2 Likes

Given how long MGM were limping by with Bond as the crutch, theyā€™re probably going to prioritise the IPā€™s that currently arenā€™t actually working.

1 Like

No changes to the Bond franchise.

Meaningā€¦ hopefully, they will not interfere with EON because EON will always veto what they donā€™t like?

Well, on behalf of the puristsā€¦

:fu:

2 Likes

Key word there is ā€œplansā€. Just means Amazon hasnā€™t figured out what changes theyā€™re making yet. Theyā€™re coming, though, sooner or later.

1 Like

I really hope Amazon doesnā€™t do Bond the way Disney has done Star Wars, dumbing it down and oversaturating the market.

At this point, ā€œoversaturatingā€ the market with Bond would be them managing to squeeze out a third film in a single decade.

8 Likes

The thing with IPs and expanded universes is: even they still have to be successful.

If a show about M, Moneypenny, Q, Felix Leiter or Tannerā€˜s nephew fails to connect with audiencesā€¦ weā€˜re back to the movies.

It is probably unavoidable to see more content around Bond hit Amazon Prime Video. But it would not necessarily be a problem.

One could still choose to only watch Bond films.

2 Likes

Yes, that was the word that stood out for me too. (Iā€™ve watched too many interviews with politicians!)

I guess my fear is that more content around Bond would run the risk of making the films feel less prestigious.

2 Likes

Bond and Rocky/Creed will be relatively safe from actions for now, as both are doing well as they are and will be seen as pulling their weight. It will be IPā€™s owned by MGM that are not currently doing well financially or critically that will be prioritised- Robocop, for example, has exclusive to prime tv series written all over it, not to mention that Lord of the rings series that theyā€™re already making has now just got access to far more of Tolkienā€™s world than they had before.

2 Likes

Maybe. On the other hand, would a mass audience really think: ah, a new Bond film? I rather watch this cartoon about Qā€˜s warrior cats.

3 Likes

Come on. Mr Kitt in Diamonds are Furever. Weā€™d all watch it :smiley:

No, I see your point. I donā€™t think a mass audience would be bothered one way or the other. I donā€™t see a big problem commercially, as long as universe building doesnā€™t start to seep into and weigh down the films, with ever more baggage and shark-jumping. Iā€™m sure EON will ensure the films remain premium, but if they try to mix up elements of the different (apologies for this word) ā€œproductā€, it could lose something, I think.

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes