Argyle (Matthew Vaughn and Henry Cavill, 2024)

Got to admire their confidence…

On the song, I gether there is a more Bondian track at one point in the film, but this ear worm seems like a good marketing tool.

1 Like

Couldn´t stand listening for more than twenty seconds.

I hate this film already.

2 Likes

Did she just peek at her watch there? :joy:

She has been playing “the mom” since Home Alone. Id be checking my watch too playing the same role for that long.

1 Like

Absolutely :100:

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

Whew! That’s rough.

The Guardian have given it a right kicking. To be fair what they describe does sound like utter tosh.

1 Like

I believe the problem these days is always the meta aspect. Filmmakers and some parts of the audience want to feel superior to the genre, therefore they constantly wink and snicker at it.

But this turns everything into an empty exercise and keeps audiences from engaging and enjoying the fictional narrative.

It is absolutely difficult to tell a great story. This is the art filmmakers should strive for, not seeking the cheap way out by poking fun at everything.

Even a spoof, by the way, needs discipline and capability. ZAZ had that in spades, and they knew that a spoof only works if the characters are NOT winking at the narrative but behave as if they are in the most serious of predicaments.

3 Likes

I read the book while I was on travel, specifically while on board the USS PINCKNEY (DDG 91), and it was pretty good. If the film flops, maybe they’ll continue with the books.

3 Likes

I’m curious if it’s box office matters at all, given it’s an Apple film. It’s getting a wider release than most other movies made by streamers have, a cinema release at all seems to be incredibly rare, so it seems they just don’t care.

3 Likes

Apple+ as a whole seems a bit vague about its purpose and aspiration, at least if we follow the Guardian’s argument here…

1 Like

Good to know im not the only once confused over what apple are going for.

3 Likes

It’s mainly PR for the service, and financial peanuts for Apple. Like Scorsese and Scott. But those at least have brought good PR.

3 Likes

Random thought:

Is it because films take so long to make now that meta elements creep in? The makers have time to tweak and doodle.

SAF wrote in the TV show thread how good The Bear is. Television is produced the way movies used to be made: fast/efficient/assembly-line style.

Then filmmakers were deemed auteurs. The first cohort so named shrugged it off, or were openly skeptical. But subsequent cohorts now had an ideal to pursue–being an auteur. And what better way to solidify one’s auteurist bonafides than to go meta?

5 Likes

There definitely is a too many cooks with too many tools in the kitchen-situation.

But I suspect that Vaughn or Richie enjoy their meta narratives and would not consider anything else.

In my opinion they wouldn’t know how to engage with a story without being ironic or referencing previous works.

4 Likes

The only publication i tend to trust on film views likes it. That will do me.

2 Likes

Just to be clear: box office does not equal quality.

But it is interesting how Apple judges box office.

And I had no idea that Napoleon did so well.

3 Likes

Im curious how this goes (not that we’ll ever be told) given MARV as the production company already had their share, and Apple as main financier doesnt seem to care about a Box Office…so Universal might loose money? Maybe

Streaming services hiding how they work makes this hard to judge.

2 Likes