Argyle (Matthew Vaughn and Henry Cavill, 2024)

If it is just a PR stunt it does not impress me. If it is not I am not enticed either. The trailer did not do anything for me.

And quite frankly, there is only one spy thriller author who is terrific.

Beside LeCarré, I mean.

2 Likes

I have loved Vaughn’s other (directed) movies, and apart from Stardust and Kick Ass, he’s always had at least one character that demonstrates he does get that kind of spy character (hell, one actually got him cast as Bond!)

This, however, doesn’t seem like that. It emphasises the OTT bits that Vaughn does do, but they’re a rarity in the films, whilst this marketing puts them as all of it, so comes across like every straight to streaming “spy” films that want to be constantly winking at the audience. I don’t know if the film is actually like that or if apple think advertising it like that is the way to go, but either way it seems like a waste.

2 Likes

Daniel Silva :wink:

3 Likes

I note he says Universal made the trailer, but only from the first 28 minutes.

2 Likes

He‘s a good salesman.

… but these ideas are terrible. The studio was right to say no.

1 Like

I heard his Superman one before - it’s very Mark Millar (oh look, the guy he was pitching it with…)

His Star Wars idea…it raises the question why bother making it Star Wars? If you want to do one of those space operas, just do what George Lucas did and make your own with ideas ripped off, I mean, “inspired by” the thing you wanted to make.

2 Likes

… like Zack Snyder.

But it´s all quite obvious how Vaughn positions himself as the guy who could do all those great franchises (although no one wants him to), in order to push his current wannabe franchise.

Will that strategy succeed? I don’t think so. “Argyle” appears to be like “The gray man” (or what was it called, that Netflix-Ryan Gosling thing from the Bay-Clones, uh, Russo brothers) or the Russo-Amazon-thing which “audiences were too jaded to get”.

All those attempts at creating another Bond-like franchise. Accept no substitutes.

2 Likes

It’s no-doubt why he went on Happy, Sad, Confused, which has always been a 50 minute exercise in quote fishing. Vaughn is still a producer at heart, he knows the amount of “headlines” that can be generated, even among supposedly reputable places, without having to say that much. Note Vaughn said nothing that wasn’t already easily found information, yet here’s Deadline and The Hollywood Reporter making articles.

3 Likes

I have to steal that magnificent line.

3 Likes

There is no serious trade paper anymore.

2 Likes

You’re welcome.

2 Likes

Note that Bryce Dallas Howard is holding a copy of the book…

3 Likes

Is it me, or does Dua Lipa look like the designer was left with photoshop for too long?

They all look as if parts have been cropped and reattached to Cavill’s skull.

2 Likes

Right!?!? They all look wrong.

1 Like

The blond woman has a very strange leg.

One of my duties on the job is to look after the TV supplement of the magazine that I work for, so I see and have to work with many film posters. These über-photoshopped “modular system” posters are among the worst around, and this one’s particularly ugly.

5 Likes

Anyone else reading the book? I’m about 80 pages in and really enjoying it. Things also just became a lot clearer about what’s possibly going on here with a very cool reference that probably indicates where all this is going.

4 Likes

Personally I’m waiting to watch the movie first, but am looking forward to reading it.

3 Likes