COVID-19 analysis and discussions

We just bought a new house, too, and now the bank is saying we might not be able to move in. Excellent - now might be homeless in 5 weeks!

Can someone pass the wine??!!!

:grinning: :wine_glass: :wine_glass: :wine_glass:

Oh, damn. Can you stay at your current home, work it out with the payments you have made already for the new home?

Some banks here in the U.S.,ā€¦Cit, Wells Fargo, etc. ā€¦ are freezing mortgage payments for three months.

Havenā€™t heard that. Hope BBVA follows suit. Thanks, cgebby

Itā€™s the same thing here in my country (Portugal). I think itā€™s a question of time till all banks do this.

I believe there are strings attached to that, though. I think mortgage payments are only frozen if you have been affected by the virus. (convenient wording)

So sorry to hear that @DaveBond21. Feel free to share my wine!

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about your job situation(s) Dave. My work shut down last week as well, although my wife is still working. Best of luck to you. Stay positive. Things will get betterā€“hopefully sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Yes, strings are attached. As it should be. I am still employed and can pay rent, so I should. But if you are out of work because of virus, no. In CA it was 4 of 5 major banks. B of A was reluctant so our governor called them out. But I hope other banks and countries/states will follow suit.

Yeah itā€™s pretty crap! Been finishing an edit at home, but after tomorrow thatā€™s it; very much doubt Iā€™ll get any new gigs until the virus is in the rear view mirror, which could be at least 6 months according to todayā€™s briefing. Worst of all because I freelance through my own limited company which I direct and am the only employee of (many individuals in telly do this because the production companies are more likely to hire you), so I canā€™t get the money being handed out to the self employed, nor to the PAYE workers. Left high and dry by the Tories. If the misses wasnā€™t working weā€™d be homeless so at least thereā€™s that. Hard times for many of us, sadly.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I hope people remember what the Tories havenā€™t done. Unfortunately, this has come at a good time for Boris, right at the beginning of his premiership. Even if this goes on for a year, people will have another four years to forget about it, or at least have their memories tainted by untruths.

2 Likes

Yeah, in America weā€™ll have an election in eight months. Not sure our memories will last that long ā€¦

1 Like

This is going to last long enough that I donā€™t think thereā€™s any way that, even given the rather short attention span of a large chunk of the American public, thereā€™s no way it wonā€™t be the issue at the polls come November. The response, or lack thereof, to this has been so disastrous that I canā€™t imagine that the anger, grief, and fear that most are feeling right now wonā€™t translate to the vote in November.

7 Likes

The families of 41,244 people would strongly disagreeā€¦and thatā€™s just in 4 months.

1,789 People have died in the UK so far. They died because he didnā€™t want to damage his beautiful Brexit by agreeing with the rest of Europe for more medical supplies, and his refusal to do any shut downs despite the rising death toll globally. He reacted sensibly only when he got it himself.

Know that every actual medical professional, not politicians thinking about themselves and re-elections, are saying this is going to get much worse.

2 Likes

What has he done differently since contracting it himself?

He was keeping everything open, despite medical professionals saying he should close everything. The closing of schools etc only happened after his health minister confirmed positive and Boris was showing symptoms. The country then went into full lockdown when he tested positive. You can track BJā€™s response by how close it got to him personally.

As we say in Germany:
ā€œLong-term memory ā€“ short-term memory ā€“ voterā€™s memory.ā€

2 Likes

My sonā€™s school closed on Friday 20th. Johnsonā€™s TV address when he told us all to stay at home was on Monday 23rd. The announcement that he had tested positive came on Friday 27th.

Schools closed themselves because students stopped turning up. BJ then announced slightly more stringent measures after his health minister tested positive. Full lockdown was only after he needed tested. Before that, you could ā€œpop down the pub when you needed toā€ - copyright, Borisā€™ dad.