Drawn to 007 - Dynamite’s new hardcovers and beyond

Not long until the LALD adaption now, which I’ve been anticipating for a while. Reflecting on the series as a whole I generally think it’s been pretty good. Though for me, the high water mark remains VARGR and Eidolon. They nailed a modern, slick and violent Bond that excited me in the first place. I’d really like to see that creative time return at some point. Great art, too.

6 stories from A list comic makers - one from the current regime. Diggle, Pak and Percy returning to pen a story each, then 1 each from new (for Bond) Gail Simone and Mark Russel.

3 Likes

Exciting project. Got to hand it to Dynamite, they’ve been making good use of the licence.

2 Likes

I’m loving that cover art by Fay Dalton; whoever at Dynamite said to use the Folio Society illustrator of Bond novels, was a genius.

Some great quotes contributed by three of the writers;

Andy Diggle - "It’s all too easy to feel hopeless and helpless against powerfully malevolent forces in our world, but James Bond encapsulates the idea that one man - one person - can make a difference. He endures, he persists, and he prevails. It’s clear in Ian Fleming’s work that Bond has a strong sense of moral outrage at the villains’ disregard for human life. He knows right from wrong, and he’s fighting the good fight for “us.”

Gail Simone - “It’s an interesting thing, because I read several of the Fleming books before ever seeing a proper Bond film, and I liked that spy. He wasn’t incredibly noble, he didn’t have a lot of human empathy. But he was the man for the job. He was a human being who had to go to some dark places. That’s my favorite Bond. I love the stunts and glamour, I love the locations and gadgets, all of that. But the Bond I most enjoy is the guy who goes where the snakes are, so the rest of us don’t have to.”

Mark Russell - “The thing I’ve always found fascinating about James Bond is that he’s a killer who pretends to be a rich and sophisticated man in order to get at other rich and sophisticated men who are, in fact, killers. In that sense, he’s a great metaphor for modern plutocratic democracy.”

2 Likes

Also in February, Warren Ellis’ Vargr and Eidolon collected in an omnibus.

1 Like

Preview for this week’s new ongoing 007 comic:

That has got to be one of the quickest turnarounds for switching creative teams for these comics. The gap was barely a month? I feel like other times we’d be waiting for a while. We’re still waiting to find out what’s going on with Origin.

Fun way to start the comic. That’s one thing I’d like to see more of in this medium - Bond as a womaniser. But I understand the need to drive the plot forward with action in the page lengths they have. As for Origin, it had a good run, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s rested for a while.

Amazon is now listing “Live and Let Die” as being in-stock Dec 21. I pre-ordered it awhile ago and was given a Dec 19 delivery date…

Hard to know how good the new arc will be judging by issue one. The delayed re-introduction of Bond was something new, which allowed us to connect with the new characters before he appears on the scene. The subsequent issues will be the real indicator of what type of story this will be.

It’s so very close now!

I am intrigued as to how they approach it, as Fleming’s most dated by miles, in terms of attitudes.

Live and Let Die has been dispatched!!!

1 Like

It’s really good but slightly distracting that they haven’t yet settled on one look for Bond, it appears. Other than this fairly minor aspect, it’s tremendously impressive.

1 Like

I’m mostly for artists having their own style, but, yeah, in the case of the novel adaptations, a bit more continuity in the art styles would be nice.

Finally read the LALD adaption.

Dynamite did the novel justice and brought it to life in satisfying and captivating way. I’ve always thought the story to be good, but ‘just another Bond adventure’. Seeing it play out visually really puts it into new perspective, and thus it has gone up further in my estimations. Job well done.

1 Like

I’ve been reading the series since issue 1. Love that we can enjoy Bond on yet another medium, in addition to books, movies and videogames. On the whole I find it very enticing and I enjoy it a lot.

My 2 “complaints” would be:

• that the artists are unequal, at times great but other times only so-so. I liked the art in Hammerhead, for instance, but was left unimpressed by the art on VARGR or Eidolon.
  • that it’s quite difficult to understand the flow of the series, with all the additional entries, the spin-offs, the one-shots, etc. I’d rather have just one title, going from issue 1 onwards. With all the various entries, I always fear I’ll miss some.

Once VARGR started I instructed my nearest comic shop to put me down for everything James Bond, and I haven’t missed anything since. I recommend doing this.

Nice little video from the current writers of the current 007 comic. In the second clip they drop a bombshell on which character will appear in their run:

Summary

Mr. Big will be coming to the 007 comic! Given that they only have the rights to the books, I assume is just Mr. Big and not Kananga. I’m wondering if the runs now will al center around modernizing a classic villain.

2 Likes

I’ve just received an e-mail from a comic bookstore that the release of James Bond: Reflections of Death has been postponed till… October. Damn!

this has possible to do with the release of no time to die I wonder if the comic will be delayed once more if the movie release moves again to 2021.

1 Like