Is there anything in Bond history worse than the tidal wave scene?

Just wanted to add that it’s great to see DAF getting some love here!:blush:

What makes it even more of its time is the fact that it’s tied so incredibly short, and the tie being rather wide doesn’t really help…

6 Likes

Oh gosh I’d never noticed that before: he looks like he’s auditioning for The Inbetweeners😂

1 Like

I’d argue that Felix is even jazzier.

Good point well made: mustard and brown is an audacious combo👏

How did anyone who gets paid to design and clothe wardrobe for major motion pictures dress Connery in that, step back, and say, “Yes! That’s what I was going for!” And how did Guy Hamilton allow it? That wasn’t proper style even for 1971, although Felix’s sadly is.

3 Likes

I beg to differ. That was the style back then. Just like low cut baggy jeans in the 90‘s which Dalton and Brosnan thankfully did not have to wear.

Craig pulled off the blue tuxedo in Skyfall and looked more than stylish doing it.

Oh my god, the thought of that…

Actually, throughout the 70s the acceptable length of the tie was for it to just touch the top of the belt buckle (see the catalog example below). The ties widened to approximately 4.5" at that time from the skinny ties of the late 60s, but length was never considered acceptable as high as Connery’s in the picture above. The only time that was fashionable was in the 40s when the pants were much more high-waisted, rising above the plain of the belly button.

But sadly I did

1 Like

You mean…
tenor

5 Likes

Naturally, there is a page going deeper into the pink tie affair…

The reason why this ensemble looks particularly gruesome is argued here as the Windsor knot Connery wears. Figures, Bond disliked Windsor knots…

2 Likes

Tell that to my father. The photos of that time… And he did not even see DAF. :joy:

4 Likes

Mine too - though he did see it :joy:

5 Likes

Great photo! Especially the really tall baby peaking through behind :wink:

1 Like

Me! I was a giant

1 Like

Like jaws without the teeth

2 Likes

Although to be fair, DC suits are too tight. I would offer (shout-out to the honorable Jim of these here boards) that SC is too big for his in DAF… :slight_smile:

1 Like

The bad tie did not cost thousands of dollars and hundreds of man hours to create and was not accompanied by a blast of the JB theme to highlight this crowning technical achievement. It was a bad costuming choice, almost as bad as the brown turtleneck and tweed jacket combo SC wore in the next scene.

2 Likes

I agree with everything you say about the tidal wave ghastliness, but stil say the costume choices in DAF are inspired as they are perfect for this wonderfully preposterous movie

5 Likes