Knives Out (2019)

1 Like

Really looking forward to this!

the crime-of-the-week shows that were popular in the ‘70s and ‘80s.

Isn’t most of US tv STILL police procedurals?

3 Likes

I think so.

The streamers are more into continuing storylines, but maybe this show seems to follow the “Colombo”-narrative strategy to start with the suspects in their everyday life before the crime, whereas contemporary procedurals are in a total rush to get the police to the scene of the crime.

2 Likes

Decent series.
60% Columbo,
20% Murder, She Wrote,
20% Pulp Fiction

I was getting a very strong Incredible Hulk vibes with her going town to town because of her own problems, but keeps running into other peoples oddly specific issues.

The Columbo of it all goes without saying

Summary

Two of the murderers are other Rian Johnson leads (I’m assuming JGL is the murderer in his episode)

Daniel Craig and Daisy Ridley completes the set!

3 Likes

I’m enjoying the show but I keep feeling like it would have worked better as a movie. The schtick is getting a little old for me.

Completely random thought I had while watching it - I would love to see a Columbo reboot with Mark Ruffalo…

2 Likes
1 Like

Can we just take a second and fully inbreathiate this moment…

Summary

Podcast Commentary is imminent!

https://mobile.twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1628556889054388225?cxt=HHwWgoDRyZb35ZktAAAA

5 Likes
Summary

Escape from shit mountain was the best one. Joseph Gordon Levitt gave it a threat that the others couldn’t do, he could’ve, maybe, got away with it!

He didn’t, but they held off on how he was beaten until the very end.

It’s still unavailable here in Germany. Hopefully, that’ll change soon.

Re-watching No Time To Die. I’m noticing how much of Craig’s performance isn’t his original idea of how to play Bond, Benoit Blanc keeps seeping in around Eon new lore…

I think Rian Johnson needed a credit.

5 Likes

This is most evident when he interrogates Blofeld. When I first saw the film I knew there was something different about his performance when he meets Blofeld but I assumed he was trying a new tactic to get under Blofeld’s skin but it’s clearly Benoit Blanc seeping through.

Honestly I love it.

4 Likes

This is one of those times when I really wish the DVD had a directors commentary. I would love to know what direction Craig was given for this scene, who conceived this slightly strange version of Bond, what the intention was, why they went with this over presumably a more normal sound Bond. So many questions I would love to know the answer to!

1 Like

There has been no news on the next Benoit Blanc movie, unfortunately. And the looming actors‘ strike will, should Johnson have finished the script at all, delay the shooting, too.

I would EXPECT Craig’s Bond to be acting very differently in NTTD.

We were supposed to be seeing the wet-behind-the-ears, new Double-O grow into the seasoned, retired Double-O over the course of 5 films. I absolutely wanted him to make acting choices that meant his performance in film #1 would be very different than film #5.

What I see was Bond acting rough and impatient in CR then assured and relaxed in NTTD. I think that made perfect sense and, for me (and I don’t begrudge anyone for feeling differently here), other characters like Benoit Blanc had nothing to do with it.

3 Likes

I had the exact same reaction, it definitely felt like Craig was letting Bond take a back seat for a bit and allowing Blanc to break through for a moment or two during that interrogation sequence. And like you I clocked it immediately and got a real kick out of it.

https://screenrant.com/knives-out-3-script-development-update-rian-johnson-writing/

2 Likes

Looking forward to this so much!

Is JGL going to show his face this time? That’s what I want to know.

1 Like

I’m now re-watching both of them following this.

1 Like