Knives Out (2019)

Just as good the second time around as the first.

1 Like

Watching it again - how much it speaks on both a literal and meta textual level is impressive. A person succeeded or failed based on their own ability to look beyond their own view.

The fact TV tropes contributions and ANYONE on an IMDB forum fell victim to this is neither here nor there…

5 Likes

So weird - it was the last film I watched in a cinema this year, filled with a huge audience, not knowing what was to come. That kind of makes me dread watching it again.

Silly, I know. But the situation one watches a movie in might influence its status in one‘s mind.

I’ll never forget how wonderful life was when I watched Star Wars for the first time. Or TSWLM.

2 Likes

Your final film was a brilliant one!

Mine was Birds of Prey. It was okay…

3 Likes

I believe my final film was 1917, which I took in at the beginning of February after getting back from Cuba. A friend I met down there recommended it and it was a very satisfying cinema experience (though Knives Out was the better film for me).

3 Likes

Mine was Parasite.

1 Like

I think mine was Birds of Prey too.

A family friend treated us all to Knives Out and though it was a small theater, it was so packed we ended up in the front row and one of our party in the aisle.

1917 I saw on an Academy screener copy.

Finally watched this on the weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Daniel’s accent took me out of the movie a little, but his acting was great. I haven’t watched a “Whodunit” for years but this has got me in the mood for that genre again.

2 Likes

Excellent news.

Indeed!

Wonder if they are going the obvious way of GUNS OUT - or if it will be FORKS IN & SPOONS DOWN. I would pay to see them all.

2 Likes

Everything but the kitchen sink!

1 Like

Rare Stakes: A Benoit Blanc Mystery

2 Likes

This is great news!

And quite frankly the future.

$400 million for the rights to two movies.

How much for the entire Bond franchise.

Well, with Netflix it’s basically cutting the exploitation chain short, a cap to the total profits of a film and thus to box office shares. On the other hand, it’s upfront payment without need to care about marketing and distribution and theatre profits. I can see how that is an interesting way for a production when we leave aside the whole cinema shebang.

For an entire franchise the price tag would surely be considerably heftier…

1 Like

Or what about ONE IN THE CHAMBER of it’s a chamber piece and/or locked room mystery?

2 Likes

I wonder how a franchise will actually fare in these new times.

Let’s face it: the revenue stream from cinema release around the world will not be anywhere near the same as before, not this year, not next year, rather not ever.

And should NTTD really be thrown into cinemas this year it will be a sobering experience to count the grosses.

So even a franchise like Bond can only survive if put on a streamer. Question is: when will MGM fold or how long will the rights be tied up?

At the moment it’s difficult to imagine major blockbuster productions generating anything close to pre-pandemic business. We’re far from getting the vaccine far enough across the globe to return to ‘normal’ this year, and probably the next year too with mutant variations threatening to catch up with us if we don’t stay on top of it.

Maybe this is even the best moment to buy a franchise in the Bond class? You can reasonably argue that returns will be subpar for the next decade - and I’m sure an army of business consultants has a host of PowerPoint presentations ready to demonstrate just this, together with the necessary deductions and COVID-adjusted profit projections to haggle about the price.

Franchises will become even more a long game in the future, something that needs careful nourishment and planning ahead. That wasn’t exactly a strong sleeve of the Bond films where the plan was to make it up as they went. Maybe the franchise market even needs a cross-platform strategy where streaming and cinema have to proceed simultaneously?

However it may develop, it’s increasingly difficult to imagine a Bond film series that just pops up every few years for a short market frenzy - only to disappear after the buzz into its vault like a vampire at dawn.

1 Like

Are you two having an essay off?

3 Likes

Maybe the next five years or so will be truly a time for the more arthouse films to flourish. Not artistically of course, but commercially.

Wonderful for them. Less so for the established action franchises…?

2 Likes