News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

Was 20, but, in the context he said that, he wasn’t being literal. He was saying how much he’d always wanted to make a Bond theme, and had been discussing such a thing with co-writer for years.

Exaggerating to make a point.

1 Like

Though in hindsight it makes very different point to the one he intended.

I believe the point is that Smith’s song, the tune itself isn’t all bad but that it could have been better. Especially perhaps by giving the gig to another singer. Which a more experienced artist or producer might have done.

2 Likes

I personally really like “Writings on the Wall” as a song, both music and lyrics - it was the singing that bothered me.

2 Likes

There were numerous cover versions on Youtube back in the day (I assume that most of them are still there), and I remember that I liked a lot of them more than the original song. To quote an old Rolling Stones classic “It’s the singer, not the song”.

6 Likes

With Smith of course the whole point was surely that he would not just write but also sing it. And however the result turned out, it earned him even the Academy Award. While it wasn’t my cup of tea it explains, up to a point, decisions and how they are vindicated in the greater scheme.

2 Likes

Yes, the song as written has the necessary Bondian feel. The lyrics fit the narrative of the film. The orchestration screams Bond. But that vocal performance… I can’t take all the unnecessary falsetto gyrations and calisthenics. It’s just too much too often the entire song!

1 Like

What happened to the Sting rumors?

1 Like

well, if you think that Billy Eilish is " the barometer of good music " than maybe your barometer is broken…:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Where did he say that? I just ask because you use quotation marks, as if that had been declared. I’m not even sure Eilish’s hardcore fans would say that.

Edit: Ah sorry - I see now where you got the barometer phrase from.

Still, nobody argued Eilish was anywhere near there; let’s not muddy the discussion. Eilish is this month’s flavour, maybe even next month’s. In the music industry that’s already a long time.

2 Likes

I can tell you know that the artist choice will be divisive…

…because that’s how everything is described at the moment.

3 Likes

I’m not a Sam Smith fan, but I rather liked the WOTW melody.

I’m honestly not going to lose my cool over the new title song. I’m at peace with the fact I’m not a fan of many modern artists, so I’m open minded - and the final product will be what it’ll be. And at the very least, Kleinman always holds my attention with his visual storytelling.

2 Likes

Same here.

It’s just that I find the massive adoration for Eilish so weird since she always sings in this hushed nervy voice. I prefer more variations and a powerful voice. Smith definitely has that, even if I think his falsetto is a tool used too often.

2 Likes

As for the score: new rumours fly on the hans zimmer board, with Lorne Balfe supposedly not in but Zimmer himself.

Again, rumours. Nothing with a clear line of truth in sight.

3 Likes

Hans Zimmer isn’t for everyone, but he’s a guilty pleasure of mine, especially his work on TDK Trilogy, Man of Steel and Inception. A James Bond soundtrack from him would certainly be something to remember. He’s handled all the big franchises so he wouldn’t be intimidated.

So he’s divisive? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hans Zimmer is a critically acclaimed composer, so if NTTD has got him, which I don’t really believe, the delay has been very beneficial in terms of suddenly catching highly acclaimed cast and crew.

The fact Rian Johnson was able to do the same with Knives Out because of that delay on NTTD, is just a bonus.

3 Likes

Hey everyone!!! I may have missed it, but did EON ever issue a press release re: change in composer? Or is it still in the advanced rumor stage?

Advanced rumour. However, Romer as composer was still that, as it was only ever reported by indie wire

The fact the site algorithm says;

It looks like your link to www.indiewire.com was already posted in the topic by @antovolk in a reply on Jul 2, '19 – are you sure you want to post it again?

Means it’s still the only source.

Rumour

Thanks for the update y’all! Thought I missed something.