News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

I don’t think it would make really that much difference if the running time was 15 minutes more or less. If they don’t get to tell what they want to tell inside 2.45hrs chances are a full three hours wouldn’t make a huge improvement.

The three hours story was resolutely refuted by Fukunaga and the writers, so they will in all likelihood have had their sights on staying below from early on. The story was probably the result of imprecise reporting anyway where they simply just had heard of script page numbers running into the 170s. At least that’s the most likely explanation for the story cropping up when principal photography was still going on.

3 Likes

There’s two ways of cutting the run time: losing content, or trimming scenes so they run tighter. Cutting 15 minutes would require both.

The former is always preferable. Why? When you get the latest cut to a place where the pacing works, then an exec pipes up with ‘great, now can we shave off 15 minutes because it needs to be such and such duration’ you’re in Editor’s hell.

Now your basically making your film worse. You’re in damage control. You have to figure out a way of losing a lot of content without effecting story, or character. That’s very hard indeed, since when faced with such a task 15 minutes is enormous.

And inevitably you go through the cut looking for places to shave a few seconds here, there and everywhere. It’s a heartbreaking process. There’s a reason the cuts are in the places they are - no sooner, no later; beats in conversation or action are never by chance; they’re the nuance that help you read and understand what the filmmakers want you to take away from that moment.

Many an exec will watch these moments in isolation, as in: pressing play at the start of that scene, rather than ‘on the run’ from the start of the movie (they can’t really watch the whole thing every time they view a change). In isolation pacing plays completely different; cuts feel like they need to be sooner - faster pacing plays better.

Good editors get this and will compensate, but the exec breathing down their neck (who has the studio breathing down theirs) will probably insist the cut can be sooner. What you end up with is a movie cut to the required duration, but rattles by at a pace that plays like a rollercoaster rather than a story, lacking that nuance in the places it’s need; the lingering and poise. One of the reasons for cable tvs success is that many shows don’t have a set duration - the eps are as long as they need to be.

That’s all a very long winded way of saying that 15 minutes is a long time in a 2-3 hr movie and cutting it will definitely effect nuance if the original cut possessed that nuance and will turn Story into a series of vignettes. Here’s hoping that there best cut was found without having to lose time for imax.

6 Likes

I didn’t look at it from the editor’s perspective, very interesting. I was more thinking along the lines of there being the target zone for the running time all along and so the tailoring would have already started with the script and the first frames so that you go into post production with most nuts and bolts already in place and only minor alterations.

But I have indeed no idea how the actual events and circumstances were and how much Fukunaga had to fight or not.

1 Like

If they’d nailed page count-to-minutes duration in the script (taking into account those lingering moments which don’t always make sense to include in Final Draft, or didn’t realise you need until the edit) and managed to shoot for it without improvising, adding to what was on the page (which some great filmmakers pray for) then no headaches in the edit.

I’ve never worked on longform movie studio stuff, but even in the most formatted telly there’s always too much content for the desired duration (though that’s a better problem than not having enough :grimacing:)

Skyfall had deleted content focused on Severine, further elaborating upon her being a black widow who uses art to lure her prey - handing Patrice the briefcase at Shanghai International Airport. In the finished film you still get the basic idea what’s going on without that introductory scene. I imagine they’re the type of reasonings they make while in the editing bay.

2 Likes

But that stuff would’ve come out anyway if it’s holding the story up unnecessarily, rather than to cut duration. My heart goes out to the editor if after finding their perfect cut, sans briefcase handing over scenes and with the desired lingering when needed they then get asked to cut it further to reach the imax threshold.

Okay, I’ll weigh in on the runtime discussion, even though this’ll sound negative. I am not surprised this is in danger of being a (too) long a runtime. Why am I not surprised? Exposition. Retconning. Making the disparate elements tie together in some kind of cohesive whole. Even the first trailer worried me. Usually with a Bond film you already know you have Bond, a baddie, a girl, and the rest is ‘ramp up the spectacle with a modern plot.’ This time the audience need to be reminded that as well as Bond and a baddie and a girl we have the girl from the last film, the baddie from the last film, who also is his semi-brother, oh and Bond left the service, oh and the returning girl is related to the baddies too (Mr White). Basically, there will be much more exposition required than we have ever had before and that will increase the runtime, not necessarily for any beneficial reason. And at this point I think it will take genius writers to ‘wrap this up’ (as they keep claiming they have done) in any kind of clever that will satisfy fans. Or, should I say, me. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks, odd_jobbies, for the insight. One can see how The Rise of Skywalker would have benefited from 15 extra minutes, and the influence of executives cutting down run time in post-production such as in Justice League.

Regarding television editing, while watching The Expanse on Amazon, I could definitely tell when editing ‘beats’ were made for commericial breaks (it first aired on SyFy), whereas the latest season on Amazon flows much more smoothly, yet is still suspenseful.

As for NTTD, I would welcome a longer run time. With Endgame being such a success, producers shouldn’t have to squeeze more showings per day when there’s plenty of empty theaters in multi-plexes to fill instead. Solid word of mouth on a good story should keep the movie leggy and encourage traditional viewers that it’s worth a trip out of the house over streaming at home or on the mobile device.

2 Likes

Why is the run time thing being held onto when one of the writers and the WRITER/DIRECTOR have said it’s not true? Do we really think Unilad, copy and pasting the daily mail, is more knowledgeable than the guy who actually made the film?

1 Like

I don’t know whether I believe it will actually be 3 hours, but with Daniel Craig films the longer ones tend to be better. QoS always feels like it’s missing a piece, or at least could have used space between jump cuts.

2 Likes

It’s not so much the 3hr runtime, but the notion that perhaps it’s been cut more than necessary because of the imax threshold.

Sure, all movie edits try to be as concise as possible without sacrificing it’s lingering moments, or insightful content (always the victims when a fixed duration must be met on a network tv show).

But it’s never surely the case to my knowledge that a precise threshold is dictated for a movie. If the best cut of the film is over that threshold what do they do?

They mitigate the damage of the further cutting best they can, but certainly there’ll be insight into character or plot that’ll be left on the cutting room floor. It’s a strange situation for a movie to be in.

But what it was “cut down” from was denied by Purvis and CJF, and given their relationship with IMAX already (Skyfall’s IMAX exclusive poster is easily one of the best) they would be aware from day 1 what their limit was - and given how much Nolan has got away with in regards to IMAX and run times, I dont see the film being slashed at just to fit it.

I mean look, current consensus based on cinema listings in France and Netherlands and Germany where tickets are all on sale is 165 minutes. Take away 10 mins of credits and you get 2 hours 35 - easy to see why both Wade and Fukunaga deny ‘3 hours’.

As for IMAX…if it was over 165 then sure, they just don’t do IMAX 70mm prints. But that kinda screws over Bond’s London home base - only way to see the film as it was intended is to go to Manchester. Plus, I’m sure Cary and Linus would want the film to be available on the format they shot it in. I’m certain they were aware from day 1 - Nolan even had to cut the end credits on Interstellar prints to fit the 165 limit - so any editing down wouldn’t just arbitrarily be to fit it. They’ve surely planned for this.

Surely the 180 minute runtime is the allocation of the cinemas, i was talking to a chap who runs a cinema , he suggested that if the allocation was 180 it’s likely the movie run time is 140- 155, leaving space for a few trailers and 3 minute clear out after credit roll finishes. Based on that I’m going with 2hrs 35 mins

Odeon when they put tickets up for sale had 4 hour gaps between screenings at the same screen - that’s the ‘allocation’ of the cinema and what allows time for 25-30 mins of ads/trailers and clean up after credits. Nowhere where tickets are on sale I have seen just 3 hours between screenings, everyone’s leaving 165-180 minutes for the film itself (that comes from the distributors)

There was a Beijing premiere planned like with Spectre but now scrapped due to the virus

I agree it’ll be a long film, I just don’t think there’s going to be loads of cuts to make it fit IMAX given the relationship Eon already had with the company, they’d known the limits for at least 8 years.

I feel my meaning is being lost here, but I’m trying to say - the film has probably fit the 70mm IMAX print since scripting, and they’re probably already discussing the IMAX poster for NTTD

1 Like

Of course it has.

Oh yeah, I agree there.

I should say, from a writing stand point, that means the writers will have been told not exceed 165 pages, however, in my experience, the 1 page = 1 minute assumption, is rarely close to accurate, but in terms of films that becomes the editors job to make that be true, So I’ll leave you with @odd_jobbies for what I’m sure will be an anger trigger at this point for trying to make footage fit an exact time frame, regardless of all else,

1 Like

That being the case, then having a hard runtime limit is surely a new dilemma in movie-making.

Of course Eon would’ve been aware of this early on - or from the point they agreed to shoot imax. That was probably after the first draft of the script; I’m guessing it was decided once CJF was onboard and had this discussion with Sandgren and BB.

Thereafter they would’ve worked on the script with a max runtime in mind and that’s a new phenomena in filmmaking. Of course they’ll always have an eye on page count because they don’t want to put off half the audience with excessive runtime, nor constrict theatres to too few screenings. Though with the recent success of looooong movies they may well have prioritised ‘getting it right’ over runtime concerns, if not for the imax threshold.

I don’t want to compare NTTD with cinematic masterpieces (not yet :wink: ), but to make a point of why this duration threshold is potentially bad, imagine The Godfather II with 27 minutes shaved off to fit imax… Apocalypse Now Final Cut (for me the best cut) with 17 minutes missing! Well, that’d be the original cinematic cut, which was trimmed for excessive runtime and is now seen by Coppola and many others to be inferior to the Final Cut and even the 410 minute Redux.

How half baked would Sergio Leone’s Once Upon A a time in America be if it were a massive 84 minutes shorter?

I’m not necessarily talking about a comparative damage done to NTTD by being restricted to 165 minutes. My point is how this new paradigm of a time limit might effect movies in general. Great art shouldn’t have restrictions, as the above examples show. But if those movies were made today there may well be loud voices dictating this time limit in order to fully access the imax market.

Back to NTTD… A script’s length should be dictated by the story it tells and the number of characters and how much depth we want from from. NTTD seems to have a whole lot of story to tell and no shortage of characters (including 2 villains).

I’d suggest that the imax decision wouldn’t have been made by the time the first draft was being written. When that decision was made a redraft may well have been needed to fit the 165 limit. But even if it was already under 165 it’s page count is never a strict reflection of final cut runtime. GVs (beauty shots, establishing shot, pacing interludes) as well as improvs while shooting, which I recall reading somewhere that CJF is keen on, will push runtime over the page count. That’s normal! The edit process may counter that with scripted moments that are then deemed unnecessary in the edit.

Point is that it’s a very fluid process with an end runtime almost impossible to predict — if that process is about finding the best cut… having an arbitrary runtime limit is a novel, very uncomfortable restriction on the workflow. If the best cut happens to come in under time, whoopydoo! But what if it doesn’t? And knowing this restriction early on - how does that effect the decision making of everyone, even at a subconscious level; shooting it this way is best for the story, for characters, buuuut… that’ll be longer and might give me a headache in the edit, so I’ll do it this quicker way instead.

So, of course they knew of this restriction before the edit - likely before the shoot - maybe before the script was ‘locked’. But movie making’s an art, not a science. If the duration is around the 165 mark (which it seems is required) then undoubtably they’ve had had to make some painful choices to trim and cut, since there’s no way they can script to 165 and exactly shoot for it.

Lol, indeed. If every time this trigger was pulled in an edit happened simultaneously we’d give the world tinnitus! :ear:

5 Likes