No Time to Die theme song

As i said, i’m not talking the business aspect, so i shouldn’t have used the word ‘success’. But what i meant by success was our appreciation.

I got the distinct impression here and elsewhere at the time that it was seen as a sub par effort. What qualities it did have seemed negated by the laughable falsetto section. Naturally some/many may disagree, but it seemed to me that most were hoping for far better.

It seemed a vain attempt to emulate the drama and zeitgeist of Skyfall and ultimately paled by comparison.

:joy:

:rofl:

Very entertaining thread!

1 Like

I’d like to hear a good cover of it: I think there’s a good song in there, and it’s Barry so can’t be all bad!

Maybe we weren’t keen on here, but the public seemed pretty happy with it.

TMWTGG was a great action theme - but a good song it was not remotely - Don’t think Barry or any songwriter could rescue that one - it is all cheese. If it was me I would have brought Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang out of the archives instead of using that.

Which as I mention it - is a good use of ‘bang bang’ in a James Bond song!

In contrast: ‘Where Has Everybody Gone’ by The Pretenders is both a great action theme and song

Mr Blobby and The Teletubbies were number 1. And now with virtually every loser that wins x-factor making number 1 it’s almost a seal of trashy, homogenisation.

I’m not playing the theme singer prediction game - sure it’ll probably be someone trendy, safe and predictable. I prefer to post about the artists i’d like to see get the gig.

The reprise at the end as nick nack bleats from the mast is probably my favourite end moment (thanks to that reprise, worked so well by Barry).

1 Like

It got to no 1 in the UK, something no other Bond theme has done, coupled with its 2 awards for best song for a film, EON will consider it a success. People complaining on forums doesn’t really relate given you can find backing for any opinion on the internet.

#releasethesnydercut

It has a certain schlocky charm but you won’t bait me into calling it good haha - it works well as a comedic punchline. I would rather ‘Make It Last All Night’ by Rage from For Your Eyes Only

Weeeell, that, to me, is a contradiction. As a great action theme it was a good song - even if the taste police decided that one is not allowed to call it “good” or even like it.

I actually have warmed to it immensely and would call it - gasp! - good with typically 70´s style over the top-ness lyrics.

1 Like

Well, that’s told me! I better keep my trap shut if my views are at all counter. There was me thinking this was a discussion forum, when all along what i was doing was complaining :speak_no_evil:

But seriously, i’m not presenting evidence here, it’s just opinion based friendly chat. I’m shocked if i’m misremembering a general displeasure at WOTW, but if so, so what! I find it naff!

I’m agreeing with you that Orion’s statement that WOTW was a risk that didn’t work is pretty clearly wrong on both counts.

1 Like

We´re all sounding off here, just voicing our thankfully different opinions.

So, no harm done at all, by anyone. If we all hammered home that we like and think the same thing, would anybody really bother to post anything?

1 Like

Good score does not make a good song with lyrics attached. It has charm, its fun but its a pretty hamfisted song lyric writing wise.

By all means talk about it, but I think you shouldn’t equate internet chatter/pub conversations with how things are actually being seen on average.

4 Likes

Indeed, i re-read that post and added a bit as i came off a little snarky and didn’t mean to (multitasking and all that :slight_smile: )

It would be actually very interesting to hear what EON really thinks about SPECTRE.

Ah, Charles Helfenstein, where are you? We need your work!

1 Like

No, indeed not! But i think it’d be equally dodgy to use chart position as a stamp of quality. I was originally talking about quality, before misguidedly veering into the song’s general perception

Oh, totally agreed there! This…thing…https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QQSYo_pC-QA got to number 1 in the UK charts…actually fills me with rage when I hear it.

Point was more, from EON/MGM’s pov, it’s the best marker they have as it potentially advertises their film to larger market than a song they may personally prefer, but doesn’t have as big a built in audience. I say this with a note of sadness as I loved Cornell’s work, and would love to hear Myles Kennedy, but the market for that is minimal.

1 Like

Lets be thankful we haven’t yet had Ed Sheeran or a former One Direction member anywhere near a Bond theme so far

1 Like

Don’t Jinx us…

3 Likes

Wow, now there’s a mouthful

3 Likes