NTTD dvd / blu ray release date

Marketers dream - get it to a point where half a silhouette can be used as your marketing.

4 Likes

I have to admit, I still have not actually taken it out of the cellophane and watched it yet!

At one time, VHS and DVD box art just reproduced (as well as possible) movie poster art, but long ago that relationship got turned upside down, so now movie posters are just oversized “teasers” for the home video packaging. And since lots of elaborate details aren’t needed (or even visible in some cases) on a little BluRay box, that means the design is kept super-simple (read: boring).

And now that any physical media is getting rarer, the focus is on the thumbnails that scroll by when you’re browsing Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. Which means even less room for anything nice.

The same thing has ruined book covers. More books are sold via Amazon than in brick-and-mortar stores, so everything has to look good in a thumbnail. So in many cases, all we get is big fat type on a solid color background (often yellow, interestingly).

It’s kind of sad, but like so many things I wonder if it even matters if one is under a certain age. Maybe I’m like the old geezer complaining that cars got boring when they stopped including running boards and rumble seats.

It’s even worse. The downfall started with CDs replacing vinyl LPs. The only LP cover design that also works with the CD format is the White Album… :laughing:

2 Likes

Indeed. And even then you can’t fold those posters small enough to fit the jewel case and still get it shut!

I’m in the same boat. I bought it the day it came out and the wrapping is off but I have not played it. While I loved the movie, the end is a little depressing and with the state of the world (COVID and (from my perspective) the politics of US), I am needing something a little more upbeat. That said, I think a martini and NTTD might be a good idea this weekend!

1 Like

I think that is my feeling, I really want to see it, especially as I only got to see it at the cinema once, but I need to be in the right mood for it.

Following my foot operation, I can’t have any alcohol due to the antibiotics I am taking. I know I don’t need to be drunk to watch a movie,but there is nothing better than having a couple of beers to relax before a Bond movie, or sip a double bourbon and diet coke during the movie,like I did watching it at the cinema

4 Likes

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Thanks kind sir!

1 Like

Actually, I think I have will watch either later on this evening or Tomorrow afternoon with an alcohol free Heineken as a compromise

1 Like

A good choice… and the man himself said it was definitely worth the wait while sipping on one of those…

1 Like

Yes and he had one in Skyfall, just before he went out to the beach bar for the Scorpion and whiskey session.

1 Like

Glad they did this. I was afraid having only bought the Blu-ray edition that Being James Bond wouldn’t be included with my digital copy but it was. Watched it last night. It’s so good and I simply can’t understand why it was not included with the bonus features on the standard Blu-ray edition. There is more than enough room. The four bonus features run 37 minutes. They could have easily included a 46 minute doc and had room for all the trailers as well.

Hopefully the inevitable 60th Anniversary 4K Box set will rectify this oversight.

3 Likes

Upgrading that toe to gold?

1 Like

My NTTD Blu-Ray is also still in its shrink-wrap awaiting me having the time to devote nearly 3 hours to it again. Oh, I will find that time, but life has been far too busy since Christmas.

1 Like

Platinum :blush:

2 Likes

On the other hand, I’ve seen it 10 times now and find comfort in the fact that Bond prevents a Heracles outbreak each time!

5 Likes

We just watched our Blu-ray tonight. Loved it (especially since captions helped to understand parts of the dialogue I found muddled in the cinema), and loved the extra features. We’d already watched Being James Bond via our cable service’s On Demand package. So while I would’ve loved to have had it on the Blu-ray, I don’t feel cheated since we were able to access it elsewhere. I still simply love this movie. Every time I see it (this was my third time), it grows on me more.

1 Like

Bond’s journey to the control room is made even better when you imagine Bond subconsciously knows there’s a good chance he’ll die, but he charges forward anyway for the greater good. One of my favourite segments in the whole franchise, and easily the best conclusion to any Bond era.