Project 007 - IO Interactive

https://twitter.com/007/status/1329425445431939072

James Bond will once again be coming to a console and computer screen near you. IO Interactive (Hitman), in collaboration with MGM, EON Productions and Delphi announced today that they are developing the very first James Bond origin story with the working title Project 007. Project 007 will feature a wholly original Bond story exclusively as a video game.

“It’s true that once in a while, the stars do align in our industry,” said Hakan Abrak, CEO of IO Interactive, “Creating an original Bond game is a monumental undertaking and I truly believe that IO Interactive, working closely with our creative partners at EON and MGM, can deliver something extremely special for our players and communities. Our passionate team is excited to unleash their creativity into the iconic James Bond universe and craft the most ambitious game in the history of our studio.”

Robert Marick, MGM’s Executive Vice President Global Consumer Products and Experiences, said, “James Bond has a strong legacy in the video game space, with some of the most iconic games of all-time based on the character. Working with our partners at EON and the talented team at IO Interactive, we plan to bring a new take on this legendary franchise to gamers and Bond fans around the world. IO Interactive are masters of crafting living, breathing worlds of immersive storytelling.”

Literally on the day I pull the trigger on a PS5! So so exciting

2 Likes

Loving that it’s going to be it’s own thing, rather than an adaptation. It’s an approach the has served other licences very well and, going by Hitman, IOI could do wonders with this.

2 Likes

I am extremely happy right now. I’ve been dreaming of this moment for so long. This is what the franchise needs, and IO Interactive are the best possible choice with their fantastic Hitman games. I feel like a little kid anticipating Christmas!

:exploding_head:

1 Like

Comments I made a couple years back preferring a Hitman approach:

I currently have the same feeling I had 2 Saturdays ago, when Joe Biden was declared the winner over Trump.

1 Like

I hope it’s not a first person shooter.

Honestly, as long as it’s better than 007 Legends, I’ll be happy.

Strong chance it won’t be.

Given the longevity of Hitman, it’s fair to assume this could become an ongoing series also. I’m hoping for a more serious Dalton/Craig type atmosphere and think that’s probably likely. References to other eras of the franchise would be welcome as Easter Eggs to balance things out.

The fact it’s an original story is very welcome. Start something new, and making this an origin story truly does allow that. IO’s track record gives me reason to be optimistic.

If history is any indication, this will most likely be disappointing.

The news is going down well on social media and comment pages. IO are a natural fit for Bond. They could just re-skin a Hitman game and it’d be a solid experience. Not sure if they’ll do it, but integrating vehicle use could be their point of difference.

Ignoring their comments about ‘the codename theory’, this opinion piece is a good one.

Something tells me IO already have ideas…

2 Likes

The f***ing code name theory. Why can’t that one just die? Quoting the article: “wouldn’t it be cool if IO leans into the popular fan theory of James Bond being a codename?” It is neither popular nor true. smfh

2 Likes

Blofeld and Felix have been really chill about these things over the last 58 years…for some reason…and the 3rd, 4th and 5th versions Bond have been method about grieving for Bond 2’s wife, Bond 1 just felt okay filling in for a bit afterwards…

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Additionally, apparently Penelope Smallbone failed horribly in her flirting with Bond to take over for Moneypenny and so they went with Moneypenny 2, who just threw herself at Bond 4’s feet.

1 Like

This game will probably get released before NTTD.

It depends how long MGM delays the inevitable…

Sometime in 2022 is my guess, and I’m okay with that. Bond’s gaming reputation needs to be carefully repaired. It’s a miracle this project is even happening, so they can take their time.

In the meantime, Hitman 3 is released next month.

I would agree. IO added new content to their last 2 Hitman games for about a year after each came out. I could see them doing the same for the third one before shifting their focus to project 007.

1 Like

Huge DLC opportunities with a Bond title. I’m positive we’ll have different costumes for their version of Bond to unlock and wear. Choosing other Bond actor likenesses would be the ultimate, but I’m unsure how likely that would be.

1 Like