Project 007 - IO Interactive

1 Like

Leaning into the code name theory, are they?

Then again, we’re probably going to see this thing debut on the Playstation 8 at the rate they’re going with it, so who knows how much is going to change between now and then.

Like the article says, I think it just means they’re using a younger Bond. But indeed, I get that they’re still developing the thing, but throw us something more to chew on. Early concept art, minor plot details…anything. We’ve known the origin story route for a long time now.

2 Likes

That may be what they’re doing, but that’s a pretty awkward way to convey that information.

1 Like

Apparently, someone else said that English isn’t his first language. So he may have just worded it wrongly.

If they show Bond getting his licence to kill I’m curious how closely they’ll mimic Fleming’s description of the two kills. Sniping at a target inside the Rockerfeller Centre in New York has a lot of video game potential, and room to expand upon the sequence.

4 Likes

Given their Hitman games had a dedicated Sniper mode, I can definitely see that opening appealing to them.

Here we are, waiting for a videogame and they throw us…a mobile game.
Feel like Bond waiting for something great and getting just a radio from Q.

Different game entirely. IO are still staffing their game.

Want to take bets? Bond 26, project 007 or Dynamite’s Moonraker - which comes out first.

2 Likes

Maybe IFP’s next novel?

1 Like

It’s a race between Project 007 and Moonraker. I’d like to say Project 007 but it’ll probably be the latter.

3 Likes

A new excerpt from an IO Interactive interview sheds more light on what to expect from Project 007 - something more in line with Daniel Craig’s Bond rather than Moore’s take on 007, one that’s more linear than their ‘Hitman’ titles and a game that actively discourages murder. Perhaps it’ll be more story and spycraft driven?

And for fans of the series like me, we get another confirmation that, while it may be a while, more Hitman is eventually on the way.

"So what do we know about 007? Well, it’s no secret that IO is casting its own Bond and rewinding to the character’s youth to tell an origin story. The few other breadcrumbs we’re able to pick up during our time in the office suggest a tone closer to Daniel Craig than Roger Moore, and perhaps a more scripted experience than Hitman’s freeform jaunts. It’s been pitched as “the ultimate spycraft fantasy”, which suggests gadgets – and perhaps a step away from the murderous objectives of Agent 47.

This final point seems to be supported by the way IO convinced James Bond owner Eon Productions to hand it the licence. “Our impression was clearly that they were not looking for a game,” Abrak says. “And I think it’s fair to say that they might not have been super-happy with some of the later games.” Moving away from “action-oriented shooters”, in Elverdam’s words, seems to have been part of his pitch, presenting Hitman as a game in which violence is actually discouraged – with the exception of one or two very specific murders per level, of course. “That helped us convince the Eon Group that there’s a sophistication in how we treat the agent fantasy.”

There’s one final connection to Hitman we need to investigate. Given that Abrak and Elverdam’s big idea for World Of Assassination – and the thing that, ultimately, rescued the whole operation – was to deliver it gradually, over multiple years, do they have a similar vision for 007? “Yeah, absolutely,” Abrak says. “I mean, that’s the dream. That’s the ambition. And it’s also how we always talked about it.” IO isn’t interested in making a licensed game just “to score some money”, he says, adding that it’s turned down offers from “several other IP holders”. It all depends on how the first game performs, of course, but Elverdam is clear about his hopes. “I would love players to look back on multiple Bond games by IO and go, ‘Wow, that was quite a journey!’” Standing up from the conference table – its chibi Agent 47 still bearing marks of wear and tear that won’t quite rub off – it occurs to us it’s a sentiment that could just as easily apply to the first 25 years of IO Interactive as a whole."

I really hope we see this game soon.

3 Likes

who do you think the next Bond will be?

https://x.com/IOInteractive/status/1747946962500903026?s=20

1 Like

The game will apparently feature both first and third person perspectives:

As someone who was expecting third person all the way, this would come as a surprise. But it would be a clear difference to their work on Hitman. The PS3 Quantum of Solace game had a hybrid setup which worked okay. I’m hoping the third person here would also refer to the use of vehicles.

2 Likes

This first person bit is going to be a major misstep, I think. Games that feature both perspectives as an option are rarely, if ever, masters of either one.

Then again, who knows when, or if, we’ll ever see this thing, so maybe we’ll never know if the mix of the two perspectives could actually work in the hands of this developer.

The crew call for animators has someone being motion tracked for third person cover combat, which would suggest its Bond you’d be playing in third person. Also context is key, this is for level design and the first person is in brackets, which more suggests that whilst their game is third person, they’ll accept someone with any experience in level design for combat situations, regardless of format.

I just can’t believe it’s been over 3 years since this was announced and we haven’t seen a frame of it. Hopefully we’ll get something soon.

1 Like