RIP - Paying Respects to those we've Lost

Another loss for those of us who loved that era.

1 Like

Ya know, I’ve been obsessed with collecting all the 60s Bond posters and artwork of late. I used to prefer the full 27x40 size, but have compromised to lobby cards and 11x17" as well as A4, A5 sizes, etc. So in that way, my childhood crushes live on.

Are these all originals, or copies? I don’t understand the 11x17, A4 and A5 sizes as such?

What are they?

European sizes are such that two of one can fit into the other. So their aspect ratio is always 1.4142, the square root of 2. So A1 is about 24" by 33" and two of them fit into an A0 size, 48" by 66". The higher the number, the smaller the size. So A4 (googles … I always have to look this up) is about 8 by 11, A3 12" by 16" and A5 6"x8". Postcards are A6, about 4 inches by 6 inches.

Americans of course have their own system which has no rhyme or reason–8.5" by 11" for paper, lobby cards at 11 by 14, and 27" by 41" for movie posters, with most replicas going 24" by 36". It’s a pain to find the right sized frames!

Anyway, they’re all replicas. I have a few original movies posters, mostly Roger Moore and some Connery. Some would be worth a lot of money, but I framed them before learning that. Sadly, I don’t have the wall space to display them. Hence, the smaller replicas.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Sir Sean Connery (1930-2020)

Moving all Sir Sean Connery discussion to this thread:

RIP.

2 Likes

Farewell, Geoffrey Palmer. RIP, Admiral.
3 Likes

He would have made a superb M.

RIP.

4 Likes

He would indeed.

1 Like
1 Like

Connery, now Trebek. We’ve lost another icon and hero. RIP Trebek. I hope he answers St Peter’s questions in the form of a question.

1 Like

As a friend of mine remarked in jest: “With Connery gone, Trebek had nothing more to live for.”* Jeopardy won’t be the same without him. Rest in peace.

*A reference to some well-known “Celebrity Jeopardy” SNL skits.

2 Likes

[edit]

I always imagined that the show “As Time Goes By” was the story of how Roebuck and M got it on.

1 Like

RIP Alex Trebek. I’ve been watching him host Jeopardy! since I was a pre-verbal infant. It’s hard to imagine the show without him.

1 Like

“You’ll rue the day you crossed me, Trebek!” He outlived Sir Sean by one week. RIP to both.

2 Likes

Excellent observation

His work on As Time Goes By was fantastic. I had watched most of that series after TND with my wife of the time.

2 Likes

Philip Voss, the auctioneer in Octopussy, died a few days ago.

I raise this both as an RIP and also that I am now older than he was then, and Octopussy doesn’t seem so long ago. Ah well.

RIP.

7 Likes

I must admit this completely passed me by. RIP.

And I agree, Octopussy does not seem so long ago. Indeed I still count the 80’s Bonds as erm, quite modern! No other movies from the 80’s, just the Bonds.

I have completely no idea why this might be.

3 Likes