RIP - Paying Respects to those we've Lost

Michael Lonsdale has some of the greatest villain lines in the whole series and its not even close. A great actor and a great man, he will be missed.

“Look after Mr. Bond, see that some harm comes to him.”

4 Likes

I first loved Michael Lonsdale for THE DAY OF THE JACKAL, and then MOONRAKER.

I recently watched his two scenes in MUNICH just for pleasure.

Interesting fact: he appears in Orson Welles’ THE TRIAL, but as is typical of Welles, he dubbed Lonsdale’s lines–the most egregious of all Wellesian substitutions in my opinion.

3 Likes

Despite his genocidal tendencies, he did get the Space Shuttle off the pad two years before NASA did. :wink: RIP, sir.

4 Likes

One of the all time great Bond villains is now in the untainted cradle of the heavens. RIP, Michael.

5 Likes

“You defy all my attempts to plan an amusing death for you.” – but himself, he had the best a man could probably wish for: peacefully in his sleep at the age of 89.

Just read this: In 1949, he and his mother moved into his grandfathers apartment in Paris and has been living there ever since (and this is also where he died).

What a remarkable man. R.I.P.
:rocket:

5 Likes

Oh dear; how sad. RIP.

1 Like

On the CBn main page:

https://commanderbond.net/19744/michael-lonsdale-dies-aged-89.html

4 Likes

A lovely modulated delivery in every one of his performances. (I’ve not seen them all, but of those I have seen I feel confident to say)

RIP sir.

1 Like

Sad news, he was a great Bond villain.

“Mr Bond, you persist in defying my efforts to provide an amusing death for you…”

3 Likes

Another loss… I am so done with 2020.

The 80s films were my teenage Bonds and so are special. Thanks to Arthur Wooster for making the action sing!

4 Likes

Sad news, he was a huge part of the Bond family - his name always seems to appear in the opening titles sequence in the 80s and 90s Bonds.

1 Like

“Even in death, my munificence is boundless. Your own private mausoleum.”

And this classic,

“Forgive me gentlemen, but not being British I sometimes find your humor rather difficult to follow.”

Just like the Moonraker goes in search of his dream of gold …

3 Likes

R.I.P. Michael Lonsdale. You had some of the greatest lines any Bond villain ever uttered and you said them so well. My favorite was “Look after Mr. Bond. See that some harm comes to him.” You will be missed.

2 Likes

R.I.P. Arthur Wooster. You shot some of my favorite Bond films. Thanks for the memories.

2 Likes

Eddie Van Halen died of cancer today. RIP to one of the greats.

4 Likes

He was also one of the creatives that helped develop guitar design and thus had a massive influence on what was made possible with trems/vibrato while his tapping style became a master technique.

R.I.P. one of the best ones.

1 Like

And another boyhood crush is gone…

2 Likes

R.I.P. Margaret Nolan. You truly were a golden girl.

3 Likes

Another loss for those of us who loved that era.

1 Like

Ya know, I’ve been obsessed with collecting all the 60s Bond posters and artwork of late. I used to prefer the full 27x40 size, but have compromised to lobby cards and 11x17" as well as A4, A5 sizes, etc. So in that way, my childhood crushes live on.