Massive part of my childhood/ teenage years, in sync with 007 as an influence. What a talent. RIP Rude boy
Michael Reed, the Cinematographer for OHMSS died at the age of 93 (1929-2022).
Snow changed the course of film art through engendering both admiration and disdain. Per Hollis Frampton:
“One of little more than a dozen living inventors of film art is Michael Snow. His work has already modified our perception of past film. Seen or unseen, it will affect the making and understanding of film in the future.
“This is an astonishing situation. It is like knowing the name and address of the man who carved the Sphinx.”
More theatre than film or television, but always amazing. He carried the torch after Charles Ludlam died, and for a long time was one of the few queer artists making art before the “Boom.”
Also, probably the only actor who could appear in both NATURAL BORN KILLERS and BROS.
R.I.P. Everett–you brightened the queer world during its darkest time.
For those who are unfamiliar with the Ridiculous Theatrical Company, this was Ludlam’s Manifesto of the Ridiculous:
Aim: To get beyond nihilism by revaluing combat.
Axioms to a theater for ridicule:
- You are a living mockery of your own ideals. If not, you have set your ideals too low.
- The things one takes seriously are one’s weaknesses.
- Just as many people who claim belief in God disprove it with their ever act, so too there are those whose every deed, though they say there is no God, is an act of faith.
- Evolution is a conscious process.
- Bathos is that which is intended to be sorrowful but because of the extremity of its expression becomes comic. Pathos is that which is meant to be comic but because of the extremity of its expression becomes sorrowful. Some things which seem to be opposites are actually different degrees of the same thing.
- The comic hero thrives on his vices. The tragic hero is destroyed by his virtue. Moral paradox is the crux of drama.
- The theater is a humble materialist enterprise which seeks to produce riches of the imagination, not the other way around. The theater is an event not an object. Theater workers need not blush and conceal their desperate struggle to pay the landlords their rents. Theater without the stink of art.
This is farce not Sunday school. Illustrate hedonistic calculus. Test out a dangerous idea, a theme that threatens to destroy one’s whole value system. Treat the material in a madly farcical manner without losing the seriousness of the theme. Show how paradoxes arrest the mind. Scare yourself a bit along the way.
I think after my time here you can tell how important Ludlam and Quinton were for this young queer boy decades ago (and also why I adore DAF).
She was as old as my mum now is, but I will always remember her as the mum in Close Encounters.
Strange how fast life runs.
Wow, such sad news. More of the soundtrack from my youth is falling away.
I didn’t know he was married to Maryam d’Abo
Cinema has lost one of its bravest and most ebullient creators.