Tenet (2020) - Christopher Nolan

I am afraid I absolutely fail as authority on Bollywood - I lack even the tiniest knowledge of the talent Bollywood has to offer, nor can I even guess what Nolan means to achieve with this move. Outside of course giving his production a host of fresh faces - for the uninitiated - and a boost on the Indian market.

One would hope that India plays some role in the film, but we shall see. Nolan has a knack for choosing outstanding actors.

I would certainly say Cillian Murphy was a discovery; his career developed nicely since the Batman films and Inception.

1 Like

You don’t count Danny Boyle putting him in 28 Days Later 3 years earlier as his start?

2 Likes

That was certainly when he first hit my radar.

He surely impressed in 28 Days Later. But as a zombie film that probably didn’t quite reach as many audiences as the Nolan films, even if he didn’t have the lead in those.

From an industry point of view you are surely right; directors and casting agents had him marked for further reference after Boyle gave him that chance.

Imo The excellent Peaky Blinders is the biggest boost to his career. It’s made him an heroic leading man, opening up a plethora of roles that would’ve previously been off limits.

2 Likes
2 Likes

http://www.tenetmovie.com/

Speculation by some online it’s a “secret sequel” to Inception.

TBH I got more Source Code/Groundhog Day vibes of reliving single moments from its trailer, but I’m speculating over what essentially is JDW walking across a room towards a broken piece of glass twice.

The trailers not online, but was in front of Hobbs and Shaw if you’re curious (H&S was a Fast and Furious movie to its core, but made a fantastic pitch for Idris Elba as a Bond villain)

There’s also smart phone recordings being uploaded at an hourly rate to YouTube, as there always is when a trailer is cinema exclusive, but I wouldn’t recommend that.

Logo in black;

Logo in white;

1 Like

Just took the plunge and although the quality is indeed pants, there’s so little to the teaser that quality isn’t really a significant impediment.

A sequel to Inception? Well, nothing I saw suggests it’s not a sequel. But that’s probably the strongest statement of connection that can be made. The oxygen mask could indeed be a means per chance to dream, but it could also be just about anything else.

The strongest vibe/association I got is the similarity of the bullet dented glass and the same in the Hannibal Lector stand off between Bond and Blofeld in Spectre’s finale (which also featured in the marketing, forming the SPECTRE octopus).

Putting that similarity together with the Tenet teaser’s onscreen text introducing ‘A NEW KIND OF MISSION’ seems an obvious challenge to the bond franchise. The film itself may be highly non-Bond, but in terms of marketing I’d say Nolan is throwing down the gauntlet.

I wonder if his Eon meetings have in fact led nowhere and this is his Indiana Jones?

Back to Tenet, another vibe it gave was The Dead Zone; an ‘expert’ with otherworldly means being utilised by the state (or against the state). Big question the bullet holes seems to be asking the audience was were they made by someone trying to get in, or out of whatever that ‘container’ was. Of course this may well be clear in full res, but the question did seem intentionally arch.

EDIT: the design of the logo and the fact that it turns on the website emphasising a sense of duplicity is obviously of great significance. This naturally lends to the duplicity of a double agent - someone who is two people. More literally it may suggest something along the lines of clones, or even parallel universes. The latter may seem world’s away from the spy genre, but just look at the excellent, recently criminally cancelled Starz show Counterpart, in which parallel universes and espionage seemed made for one another.

2 Likes

Just looked that up, sounds brilliant! J.K.Simmons and Olivia Wilde are always excellent.
I see Justin Marks also wrote the failed pilot “Rewind” another TV series pitch that combined espionage with sci-fi. Clearly an interest of his.

I was going to mention Counterpart, but @odd_jobbies beat me to it.

Given how current events and affairs do have a strong ‘alternate reality’ taste, how the theme is used from Stehen King to Man In The High Castle, how even physics is now exploring the concept of a multiverse - see Max Tegmark’s book and quantum computing theory for that - I’d say the theme is currently just floating about and influenced many different mainstream productions. That Nolan picks it up - again? - is more or less expected.

2 Likes

Esquire with an article on the “stealth” Tenet trailer. They can only speculate, as we can, but the opening description of

forcing Sir Michael Caine, a knight of the realm, to talk about tangerines.

made me laugh (though it occurs that Caine has done far stranger things in his career) so i thought I’d share.

1 Like

(fixed the pic :thumbsup:)

2 Likes

Jaws IV springs to mind!!!

2 Likes

There’s a surely room for a whole other thread of odd things Michael Caine has done in films…

…The Harry Palmer series is a Harry Saltzman brain child of a spy series, that’s comfortable on a Bond forum if anything is, and Caine did 5 of them!

Should say anything beyond the original 3 was news to me as of writing this.

For what it’s worth, I never heard anything good about the later films. They may not be the nadir of Caine’s career, but certainly within walking distance.

Caine always had a pragmatic view of such vehicles: as long as they payed he made them, regardless what was required of him. They were work and an actor can never have enough work. Strikes me as sensible.

2 Likes

The fact the other 4 are almost anonymous would speak in your favour.

Blame it on Rio - pure Michael Caine trash. There is a great game here , the worst Michael Caine movies , there are many

Bullseye. It’s grim. Although not Roger Moore’s worst film, so some sort of perverse achievement.

3 Likes