What do you think about the NTTD release date?

Very true. Per what Virgin Atlantic is saying on their site, I need a test 72 hours before I fly which is a hassle but I’m vaxed, still, if things change (hopefully not) having to add ten more days would be a pain, then again…

“What the Hell are you two going to do in a hotel room for ten days?”

“Say goodbye to Felix darling.”
:wink:

7 Likes

I’ve got a growing feeling that England is going to pay a price for a possible EURO2020 win. And the fact that a certain Mr Johnson still doesn’t understand that the dumbest way to deal with this pandemic is with the head through the wall.

One definition of madness is repeating the same mistakes over and over again and still expect different results.

I believe that we get a proper Premiere on that date when I see it happening. Unfortunately, unrelated to Covid-19, it looks as if I won’t be able to attend… :frowning:

2 Likes

I’m just following the presser with Johnson, Whitty & Vallance. One excerpt from the coverage:

Johnson says the UK has the highest proportion of the population vaccinated of any country in Europe, apart from Malta.

He says the government must decide whether it is safe to open up.

If it does not open up now, he says it might be worse opening up later, when the autumn is getting closer.

Another:

Boris Johnson starts by saying what life will be like if we move to step 4 of the roadmap. The final decision will be taken on 12 July, he says.

He says “we”, but he means England.

Case are rising rapidly, he says. They could reach 50,000 per day by 19 July.

And one more:

You have said more people will get Covid and will die? How bad could it get?

Johnson says they have to be cautious. But they always said opening up would lead to more cases and more deaths.

If they do not go ahead now, when the “summer firebreak” is coming up - the school holidays and other advantages from the summer - then when will you go ahead? The virus has “an edge” in the colder months, he says.

Alternatively, you would have to postpone opening up until next year.

This is interesting for various reasons. The British government intends to make COVID-19 a private risk you take - or refuse to take - at your own discretion. The emphasis is shifting from a public - even global - crisis to one society* is involved with at a distance. Vaguely. People are called to use their own judgement - and if it blows up in society’s face it’s evidently people’s own fault.

That’s certainly an approach worth discussing. The obvious upside is that, with time, the entire blame for failures, misjudgments and effups lands in our own laps. Convenient. The downside is that not everybody is free to use their own judgement as to what risks to take and avoid. The enormous number of victims especially in the UK is at least partially a result of people not having the support and social security to allow them to isolate - or even get tested.

Be that as it may, the main takeaway is that 50.000 cases per day are now considered worth having in exchange for opening up. How that translates to hospital admissions and serious cases is anybody’s guess for now. But the real gift that keeps on giving are going to be possible variants resulting from that move.

No idea how that turns out.

*Society: that elusive concept that, according to the great British philosopher Margaret Thatcher (and supported by that other titan of philosophy, the Financial Times) doesn’t exist.

2 Likes

That’s Boris.

Whatever conversation it is - that’s the response.

He really wanted to be PM apparently…

3 Likes

I think it’s pretty clear it’s going to be the start of the week of release (September 27/28), the question is where… I’d think the RAH is back on the table given the restrictions on capacity lifting, the Odeon Leicester Square will be too limited capacity wise (it’s been refurbished since the Spectre premiere, with capacity halved to 700 seats). Or they do the whole arena/stadium idea which was rumoured.

I’d honestly think the hot ticket will be, like when Christopher Nolan films had their premieres, the separate IMAX screenings…rather conveniently the Science Museum is right next to the RAH…

1 Like

Poorly, would be my guess.

That exchange, the idea of making Covid a private risk decision rather than continuing it as the public health crisis that it is, just reaks of the sentiment that made the rounds here about how the elderly and otherwise vulnerable should be willing to sacrifice themselves for the sake of the economy.

1 Like

That’s my feeling too on the RAH. I recall the Odeon it all it’s glory (I was at the Moonraker premiere) but 700 isn’t enough to accommodate Bond. Hopefully the powers that be (barring any of the above) go this route. As to the date, I was rather hoping for 5th October- Global Bond Day. Time will tell. I’ve been considering a recon mission for 4-5 days before the end of summer to see how things are shaping up.

Given the September 30 UK/international release, (North America seems to be the only market releasing on the 8th), 5th Oct is definitely not an option!

The weirdest aspect of all this is: if someone is drowning one might have different opinions on how one can rescue that person. But now it seems to be acceptable, even mandatory to defend the opinion that rescuing is not necessary nor desirable - as long as oneself is not in the water. Despite water reaching everyone sooner or later.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Fitting image to remind us that today, 60 years ago, EON was founded.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Even more so!

Orion, the King of Gifs!

3 Likes

3 Likes

Don’t knock it. May become valuable. My teaser one sheet with the April date is still in the tube it came in. :wink:

2 Likes

As long as the popcorn hasn’t been sitting in it since that date was still viable…

4 Likes

4 Likes
1 Like

So, 162 minutes. The longest ever.

2 Likes

Wow. Am I the only one…with mixed emotions?