"007's Road to a Million" Series From MGM on Amazon Prime

I always admire your restraint.

2 Likes

I watched the first two episodes, and the cinematography and use of Bond music is amazing. But that’s about it. Don’t think I’ll watch the rest unless I nothing better to do.

5 Likes

Having seen THE RHYTHM SECTION and this, my restraint is already exhausted.

Could EON really only be good in making Bond films?

3 Likes

I gave it a shot with the attitude of just trying to have fun with it and… I turned it off during the first episode.

It’s just not a very good reality show, Bond related or not. It’s well shot but it’s just boring as hell.

2 Likes

Guess it depends on your view of Call Me Bwana and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

5 Likes

Probably. They are a bit like Lucasfilm being mixed with Disney. Amazon isn’t expecting anything else from EON at this point. Like Lucasfilm, with the exception of American Graffiti 1 and Indy Jones 1-4, they haven’t made a big impact at the box office. EON has less than that. As for EON and the series, they should have focused on the next movie more. Or perhaps better, a TV show focused on Bond or another character. Say what you will about the continuation authors (particularly Kim Sherwood and her Double-00 trilogy), at least they fit the brand more. I kind of hope Amazon has a bit of control when it comes to IFP, and giving us more books more often. An adult Bond novel and a spinoff a year would be the best approach. As for now, it’s been kind of hard to back this series as a whole. The higher-ups (particularly EON) can do better.

I watched the series and it was pretty average. It excelled in cinematography, music and locations but lacked in excitement. It is a British (and better) version of Amazing Race.

I don’t have an issue with its existence. When we get a new Bond every 5-7 years this seems like a harmless way to keep the franchise semi-topical.

1 Like

I watched the first episode and I enjoyed it. The cinematography and use of locations is superb and I liked the contestants. It just needs more Bond touches. EON is playing it safe, which I understand, but if you’re going to agree to do a Bond reality show then really double down on it. Take away the title and music and there isn’t much James Bond there. I was hoping the contestant would be big Bond fans and they could play up the wish fulfillment of going on a Bond mission but everything seems a bit too muted.

Still the production values are quite good and it wasn’t annoying like most American reality shows so it held my interest. It’s not the disaster people have claimed but it could use more excitement.

1 Like

Guardian hated it…

1 Like

“Shoddy, soulless and boring”

So a reality tv show then.

6 Likes

I actually felt the same - Cox could not do more with this, to be fair. But coaxing an actor to indulge in his mannerisms quickly leads to self-parody.

This show is a giant misstep, and it makes me wonder whether EON is, at the moment, drained of ideas and even unwilling to move forward.

6 Likes

Hmm.

Well, they already opened the door to that with NTTD, recycling “We Have All the Time In the World.” Maybe the next entry will be totally “tracked” with reused music from earlier films. It’s past time for “Dirty Love” and “Make It Last All Night” to get a second shot at success.

6 Likes

I haven’t seen it yet. I suppose I’ll give it a go at some time over Christmas. However, one thing that struck me is the faux pas they seem to have made with the main advertising graphic of the crate dangling from the helicopter: even as a confirmed Bond addict, this brings to mind the climax of Mission Impossible Fallout more than any Bond moment… all v odd.

2 Likes

5 Likes

I struggle with the fact it got made at all, let alone that people invest lifetime into watching it.

4 Likes

Bad news for those who hate this show: Brian Cox has signed on for Season 2.

Retirement won’t fund itself.

6 Likes

There will be a season two of this but no new Bond film in sight?

We‘re living in Bizarro world.

9 Likes

What an embarrassment for this franchise.

The way they churn the films out these days, we’ll probably have more seasons of this show than there are films by the time Bond 30 is released.

6 Likes