Amazon in Talks to Buy MGM

Ugh.

2 Likes

Ugh indeed.

Well, at least itĀ“s just a reality show, no fictional competition.

I would love to see a scripted show that either focused on a character (e.g., Leiter) or a show that would try to faithfully adapt the novels somewhat like the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series. I know Iā€™m in the minority on that one. I donā€™t see myself watching the reality series though.

1 Like

Well, that didnā€™t take long.

As someone who has long said that Amazon would spin Bond off into all sorts of places, I did think that it might take a bit longer than that.

Not a good sign of things to come.

The UK Original project is separate from the recently closed Amazon-MGM deal.

Nothing to do with Amazon

2 Likes

This has supposedly been in the pipe for years already - though it might technically have been something Eon agreed to cook up as soon as MGMā€˜s imminent change of hands was dawning on the horizon.

This could turn out either a disaster or a cult classic. Or a cult classic because itā€™s a disaster. I imagine a mix of escape room adventure, Strictly Come Dancing and Takeshiā€™s Castle. Or The Great British Bake Off on vodka martinis and Seedlipā€¦

Iā€™m sceptical regarding the Ā£1m prize as thatā€™s for one such an unimaginative, vulgar sum. And appealing to the lowest possible level of greed which quickly turns such entertainment into a contest who the audience loathes and has the most fun watching fail. Make the prize something unique, ideally something that cannot be bought easily.

1 Like

Well, whatever it is, it reads like a Bond version of ā€œThe Amazing Raceā€.

6 Likes

Well, ā€žgive the people what they want!ā€œ

2 Likes

And what the people want is a Bond production that doesnā€™t take 5 yearsā€¦.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Oh, the good old daysā€¦

3 Likes

The Amazon Prime era begins, for 2 months anyway.

4 Likes

Good.

ItĀ“s now important to concentrate the availability in order to bring the films to the mass audience (which, believe it or not, has not seen every film yet).

2 Likes

I doubt this goes a long way towards creating new fans. These films have been available in a variety of formats, for years. Theyā€™ve also been made available on Prime before as well as Netflix.

Itā€™s nice that theyā€™re on there, but Iā€™m not going to be particularly excited until I can get the Dalton films in on 4K Blu-ray.

Strange , Every single Bond movie has been on Prime in my country for a while now

Iā€™d believe it. There are probably a large number of fans today who havenā€™t seen the films earlier than the Craig era. Iā€™m all for this. Allows me to watch them all digitally as I donā€™t yet have them all purchased digitally.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Interesting.

2 Likes

Oh, noā€¦ not that again.