Mission: Impossible 6

Given this post on Christopher McQuarrie’s instagram, I’d say we’re likely getting a trailer to coincide with the cast’s appearance on Graham Norton.

https://instagram.com/p/BeROzvzAdPN/

Awesome!

Thinking of the very early promotion of the film with interviews, I guess it makes good sense for the world to see Tom alive and kicking in ‘person’, as it were. If the press has been all over the injuries, I daresay the worry mongers will be concerned this MI will not be up to snuff, the film makers cannot edit out any issues and all the other tripe that, if left unchecked, can escalate in the forums.

Looking forward to the interviews, the trailer, the film.

Bryce, what brings you to London?!

A special occasion and also taking a small holiday. Tonight’s my last night and in maintaining a long standing tradition of my own, I’m dining black tie at the Savoy. Then it’s back to L.A. tomorrow. But Bryce will return…

2 Likes

Well, I hope London looked after you in style.

It did. I’m now known simply as “Commander” by most of the staff at the Rivoli Bar at the Ritz.

I am sure you know all the most stylish of spots to visit in London… By this, I wonder if you have popped into the Rules restaurant of SPECTRE fame?

I happened to visit two weeks ago, not to eat there as my fiancé is vegetarian meaning fully 100% of the menu was redundant aside from the sides, but for cocktails, upstairs.

Needless to say, quite special.

They don’t know me as anything, by way of contrast!

Looks like we’ve got a title: Mission: Impossible - Fallout!

Additionally we’ve got another look at a stunt:

2 Likes

Hopefully Tom doesn’t, er, fall out of the helicopter.

The title works for me. Better than a generic MI:6 in my opinion.

I’m just gonna leave these right here…

1 Like

Wow, that’s pretty uncanny :rofl:

So here’s an explanation of the name from director Christopher McQuarrie:

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/christopher-mcquarrie-naming-mission-impossible-fallout/

Interesting part of the interview is this:

“There’s the notion that what’s happened in the movie is the end result of choices that Ethan Hunt has made in his life. It’s Ethan’s past come back to haunt him. It’s the fallout of all his good intentions.”

Maybe this explains the reappearance of his wife. Hopefully we’ll get a few other cameos and surprise appearances too.

We also have a synopsis:

“The best intentions often come back to haunt you. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – FALLOUT finds Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) and his IMF team (Alec Baldwin, Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames) along with some familiar allies (Rebecca Ferguson, Michelle Monaghan) in a race against time after a mission gone wrong. Henry Cavill, Angela Bassett, and Vanessa Kirby also join the dynamic cast with filmmaker Christopher McQuarrie returning to the helm.”

I’m hoping that this doesn’t mean that he has to go rogue again. Just like with the Bond movies, I’m getting a little tired of that trope.

They play the “outside the IMF” card in 4 out of the 5 films. Odds are in favour…

Ironically, the only one where he doesn’t is the one most people don’t like. However, since we have Alec Baldwin as the Secretary Hunley of the IMF and Angela Bassett as the new CIA Director, maybe he’ll be on the side of the IMF, with Hunley shielding Ethan from the bureaucracy of the CIA. At least the last two films didn’t have an IMF traitor like the first three did. You’d almost have to start questioning their screening process if every film had a traitor.

I think they‘ve said in the run-up to this they found themselves in a similar place the Bond films did, they simply found it difficult to spin it further without repeating themselves. Well, we‘ll see whether they learned anything from Bond. Generally speaking, in spite of the rogue/traitor shtick, MI has done many things right, especially where plain entertainment is concerned. Not too serious, not too bloated, not too much up its own. The one thing one would have hoped for would have been a change-of-guard.

Right, and that seemed to be what they were lining Renner up for in GHOST PROTOCOL. I don’t know if they’ll be able to keep this show going after Cruise exits though. His stunt work is part of the appeal and differentiates this franchise from all the other actioners out there.

1 Like

That is probably a concern, Cruise cannot go on that much longer. And he’s not one to agree with taking the backseat. MI may actually take a break and then reboot with a completely new ensemble. Provided they can find the personnel for it.

I can see him taking Alec Baldwin’s role given enough good material - just look at his appearance in Tropic Thunder.

I’ve been impressed how they’ve really turned the franchise around after the first two films but I would very much be in favor of a reboot that reestablishes Jim Phelps as team leader and hero of the series.

Cruise is one of my favourite actors, and while I’m a big espionage/action fan, his involvement is a huge reason why I enjoy these films. Replacing him with Renner, or some other actor, just wouldn’t feel the same for me.

The past coming back to haunt someone is very SPECTRE. Not a complaint but an observation. The film is meant to bring back familiar faces. Maybe it’s not so crazy that they bring back Phelps in some way?