NO TIME TO DIE first trailer (spoiler-free discussion) - Poll added

Can’t say that I‘ve heard of this outfit, no. The three hour story keeps cropping up though, also in other reports. So chances are it’s probably not going to rival QUANTUM OF SOLACE for shortest film in the series. My bet, based on nothing more substantial than ‘hunch’, is that NO TIME TO DIE is probably going to end up somewhere between SPECTRE and three hours.

I don’t think going for a 3 hour run time is the smartest thing on EON’s part. A lot of criticism surrounding Spectre by casual movie goers was that it was, simply put “boring”. A longer run time would most likely mean that each character interaction would be slower, longer and more drawn out. I don’t think that sort of direction is good for a blockbuster Hollywood movie like Bond which is aimed at the masses.

This Video for example, has more views than the official Spectre trailer itself, I think it serves as a good Barometer from a casual movie goers perspective

New footage

3 Likes

Screenwriter Robert Wade and Director Cary Joji Fukunaga have both unequivocally refuted the three-hour run time rumors.

1 Like

Yes, definitely - probably because the target was to tailor running time to IMAX from the go. But it’s apparently not tremendously shorter. Frankly, I don’t think it will make a huge difference that it is going to be that bit shorter - or that a significant part had been lost to achieve the running time. You could probably make an equal case for both a longer and a shorter version in terms of cinematic significance.

Love that trailer!

1 Like

Not quite two months to go. When do final run times usually get released? I want to say it usually coincides with the release of its rating by the MPAA.

It cannot be far away any more. Since the release is such a global affair theatres are already booked by now and the local studio release ops have to have a fairly good idea where the landing zone will end up. Local customs may vary and necessitate some cuts - violence, sex, tax avoidance scenes - to meet demands for younger audiences (with an adult in attendance, where necessary) but that’s stuff for seconds not minutes.

So if Universal Russia or Universal Germany gives a runtime of, say 165 minutes for example, they are probably already close to the finished thing. The obvious giveaway is likely the IMAX 70mm limit, that would be the what Fukunaga aims for.

2 Likes

Assuming of course EON are prepared to invest into prints! Though the fact that they did end up spending money on a 3D conversion for select markets (! - Netherlands is basically officially announced now) I would hope so…at least for the BFI in London as the major casualty of this

1 Like

Apropos of nothing, does anyone else wish that they had put Craig in the naval commander’s uniform for the MI6 scenes?

He wouldn’t be wearing it now that he’s left the service.

The only time Bond would have worn that in his Navy days is on a Naval ship or base, so I wouldn’t want to see that at MI6, but I think MI6 is civilian now, anyway…

1 Like

Fair enough about the naval ship or base. I don’t know how all that works as far as wearing your uniform when you’re no longer in the military; presumably when he joined MI6 he would technically have no longer been in the navy anyway but I guess since it’s military intelligence he would still be considered a career military man?

Actually it’s not MI6 but Secret Intelligence Service, the MI thingy is supposed to be the code name and the whole thing is stuffed under the auspices of the FCO. How much actual connection to any military side the whole circus still has nowadays is anybody’s guess.

But I suspect uniforms in general are considered a bit bizarre fashion sense for the whole concept of cover and clandestine discretion on the premises…

3 Likes

To be honest, if they really wanted to be somewhat accurate, they wouldn’t have a covert-operator inside the premises of the official building at all. It’s an automatic cover-blow, since anyone can see you enter/leave, which obviously means you’re not who you pretend to be. So, uniform or no uniform, as soon as you have any connection with the building, it’s blown anyway.

That being said, each Nation has its own regulations as to when and how a uniform shall be worn. Some officers have to wear it even if they’re on office jobs, and even if the institution is civilan. So, as regards “MI6” specifically, it’s anyone’s guess what the rules are.

1 Like

Much worse I found the fact how Bond gets practically a weekly delivery of highly sensitive top secret material on his desk (escape routes and the like) and office tattle about blown double agents (Maria Freudenstein) when he’s frequently in touch with foreign intelligence services and could end up in some Moscow cellar or Siberian Gulag any day as part of his job description - as he does in fact.

M seems mildly annoyed that 007 got along so well with the KGB debriefers that Bond dares voicing actual sympathy for their arguments - when in fact M should have told Tanner to halt any and all activity that ever found its way to Bond’s desk by the fateful 00-distribution list…

2 Likes

Reminds me of the whole baiting of the “ambulance chasers” in Role of Honor.

1 Like

http://www.impawards.com/2020/no_time_to_die_ver15.html

Wow!

And the poster:

1 Like

http://www.impawards.com/2020/no_time_to_die_ver16_xlg.html

2 Likes

I like that poster, a nice variation on the Spectre teaser, gritty and to the point.

Thankfully not another Skyfall or Spectre main poster fail.