NO TIME TO DIE first trailer (spoiler-free discussion) - Poll added

Certainly better than the last couple of posters, no doubt about that. Not entirely sure if I like it too terribly much beyond that bit of faint praise, but I do respect the effort to do something a bit different. I like the IMAX poser considerably better, I think.

definitely not a traditional Bond poster, its not bad at all - but its also just a photo of them in a car so I’m not going to claim its a revelation in poster design etc… it’s fine - not sure why the blue eyes are accentuated or if that has any meaning? and why only his eyes are coloured etc…

2 Likes

The same reason as Invasions poster had it, and why both Skyfall and Knives Out features an extreme close up of Craig’s eyes, as they, and how VERY blue they are, have been seen as a selling point for Craig since long before he was Bond.

4 Likes

There’s a simple reason: because it’s something designers love to do, especially when the person is famous for blue eyes. I did a magazine cover with Sinatra last year and used the same effect.

In the days of old, when you used black and white, it mostly meant that you’re on the cheap side and can’t afford to have it printed in colour. Adding that little blue touch says: “Look, we could afford it but we use the black and white deliberately”

And it’s not a first for Bond. The black and white teaser for SPECTRE (the one with the sweater) has it, too.

4 Likes

oh sure, but they couldn’t afford to do it for lea seydoux… :wink:

But yeah it just strikes me as a photoshop trick that has been seen a few times around film/magazine/online and not really trying to do anything different compared to last time around - looks nice but ultimately doesn’t scream “here is a special movie” or even “here is a Bond movie” - I do appreciate the reliance on Matera in marketing for the lack of spoilers that have snuck out in everything else

2 Likes

The poster has all it needs for that matter:

Was only natural. That was the one place were they knew they’d be out in public and crowded places for a long time and that it was impossible to avoid paparazzi and unofficial set photos. That’s the bone the threw us deliberately, like there was Mexico City in Skyfall. Everything else was in remote locations or studio, so that keeping things secret was much easier.
And I think there also was an intention to send out a message: We’re really able to keep things secret. With SPECTRE, it was all Sony’s fault who were stupid enough to have themselves hacked.

4 Likes

Oh I know - I’m not saying it isn’t fit for purpose or anything, just that it could have been much more than it is

It’s not the Bond posters of my youth, but time moves on.

5 Likes

I miss the old school posters too!

I remember getting particularly excited about the MR poster. 8yr old me thought it was genius to have Moore wearing his tux under the spacesuit; even in space he’s James Bond.

I’m a fan of Craig’s movies being far grittier, but surely that doesn’t mean they can’t have fun with the marketing!

The new poster is ok - less naff than the imax ‘The Great Escape’ poster (wonder if Craig’s similarity to McQueen influenced that!).

What i don’t like about this new 2-big-faces poster is the lack of continuity between the 2 heads. Seydoux’s head should be a little smaller, unless their cheeks are touching (don’t think that’s the intention) and the soft focus she’s in as compared to Craig is pretty hilariously off; he’s in a gritty action scene, whilst she’s in a glam perfume ad.

What makes me laugh is the thought of what may have been the farcical, half baked meeting that led to this. An everyone on their phones, not paying attention W1A kinda’ thing.

Someone probably suggested that “Her head should be as big as his or we might feel the wrath of the surging feminist right across social media.”

Someone else then piped up that "She looks a bit minging all grittied-up like Craig - how about a wee bit of soft focus to emphasise youth, attractiveness and the vulnerable damsel in distress (for the fellas)?"

Big marketing boss-person looks up momentarily from a BB email that’s asking why it’s taking so long to do a poster and announces, “Yes, great, do that - i want to send it to BB before end of play”.

What we get is 2 completely contradictory aspects in the one poster. Makes it a collector’s item, perhaps?

At least that’s how i like to imagine proceedings - far more entertaining than this bish-bash-bosh there’s the money (and a co-star) now buy a ticket.

4 Likes

Agreed re the Moonraker poster: a timeless classic from a bygone age… like the film itself!

4 Likes

Don’t know this for a fact, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Craig doesn’t have a large say in the content and style of the posters.

The FYEO poster was the sole reason I entered puberty. Just saying.

3 Likes

Or even for me, the Brosnan era. Those posters at least continued the spirit of the painted style just with live action elements. But alas, it is what it is. I think the new poster captures what the Craig era has been about. The black and white of the Skyfall teaser poster, and the bullet holes of SPECTRE’s teaser. And if I’m really stretching it, a face closeup like the CR poker table poster.

1 Like
4 Likes

The look of this one is such a colorful return to form after the disappointment of SPECTRE. The cinematography looks stellar and I like everything that Fukunaga is saying here. Soon…

5 Likes

Smarter and stronger than Spectre… oh heck, sounds like trouble! Kind of mixed feelings about this tbh: excited for an awesome new enemy but a bit sad that after such a long wait and just one film, Spectre and Blofeld may be yesterday’s news. Film looks incredible though!

Me too! Definitely too soon to write them off. But I suspect their viewing DCs run as very self contained and that SPECTRE and Blofeld will be retooled for Bond 7 without the sibling backstory.

Knowing how Eon like to make the movies relevant, with all the press about Russia interfering in elections and the Salisbury poisoning it wouldn’t surprise me if Safin/DN is part of SMERSH.

1 Like

I’d be very happy if things played out like this.

1 Like

In that scenario I wonder if Maddy might be the SMERSH equivalent of a Manchurian candidate and the Noh mask she receives is a wake up call.

That would tie up nicely if they wanted to give Craig the YOLT ending; as he misguidedly heads off to ‘mother’ Russia we know exactly what kind of ‘Noh’ brainwashing awaits him, meaning less exposition for the next chapter.

Having said that, I don’t see them ending DCs run on a cliffhanger, so if they did this we’d probably get the first chapter of TMWTGG as a second finale to NTTD. Perhaps Safin/DN dispatched it’d be an escaped Blofeld pulling those strings.

1 Like

What if Safin is a red herring of a villain? One who looses his power play with Blofeld, and is dispatched far earlier than expected leaving Blofeld as the villain in the end.

It won’t be that, but speculation is always fun.

2 Likes