NO TIME TO DIE first trailer (spoiler-free discussion) - Poll added

Watching the trailer again I really wonder now about that scene in which the tuxedoed Bond stands in that hall, seeing this strange mist clouding around him while the other party guests retreat.

Could the rumors be true and Bond get infected by something? Is there a virus plot in this film? Does Bond have to race against time because his own life is on the line?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised, but I hope it’s not the case. Entertainment in general, not just Bond, is going to be even more crucial in terms of escapism once things start to get back to some semblance of normality around the world. Being reminded of (one of) the major things that such a film would provide a welcome relief from would do a great deal to harm its escapism factor.

2 Likes

Maybe. On the other hand the virus will be a part of daily life. And to see Bond overcome such a situation might offer some uplift.

3 Likes

If a virus of some sort is involved, I imagine it would be very cathartic for the audience to see Bond destroying the laboratory manufacturing this stuff. Striking back at ‘the invisible foe’ and winning.

1 Like

I just wonder (and surely hope that it is not true) whether Bond contracts something and then will actually die at the end, for humanity’s sake.

In the trailer there is this scene in which Madeleine asks him “Don’t you know what this is?” and he looks visibly shaken.

1 Like

Once the virus is well and truly past. Any sooner and it may seem glib and insensitive for a country in mass mourning.

Imagine you’ve had a relative die from the virus and there’s Bond on the big screen cracking glib remarks about viruses, villains and mortality.

if indeed it’s a virus plot, then i’m sure Eon will take a view on the social temperature before releasing.

1 Like

It did btw - Foot and Mouth disease, Blofeld even takes credit for it as his test case for his what he’s given his angels of death.

1 Like

Indeed they did, but imo it’s a brave studio that tangles with virus action spectacles too soon.

If it’s the case i hope they delay, rather than re-edit.

Given the death toll already, I don’t see them going for it. Don’t think it’s quite what Cubby meant about Bond movies being 2 minutes in the future

3 Likes

Well said.

Also, from a purely financial perspective (which is the main criteria by which EON/MGM/Universal will be making their release decision, releasing a film with such a plot point in China and the US, two of the three hardest hit countries at this point as well as the two most important nations in terms of box office for Bond, probably wouldn’t be the wisest of moves.

Then, and this is a small consideration but one possibility nonetheless, there will be those who are ignorant and will claim that Bond is trying to capitalize on the tragedy, drawing some unwanted and undeserved negative attention to the film. Anyone with a functioning brain would be able to figure out that the film was in the can before this crisis became a global issue, but, at least in the US, having a functioning brain isn’t necessarily a prerequisite when it comes to having a platform on some form of media to spout out such nonsense.

3 Likes

Alas, so true…

I’m wondering if we might get a title change.

With the title song already recorded and the merchandising all complete you wouldn’t think so, and I don’t think it should be. I’d release the film exactly as is. The film is locked away and ready to go without alterations. I want to see the movie I would’ve been seeing next month - the movie they made on set, not the movie that was tinkered around with to become something else. And if the November release date is still possible, the film should absolutely be released then.

2 Likes

Totally agree. And they should go with what they’ve got. The initial final product is almost always better than its successor.

2 Likes

Since a lot of the ‘virus’ speculation seems to be largely based on the mist downing on the dancers in that night club - I may be wrong there but to me that scene would be more indication of a chemical weapon. It could still poison Bond (though he likely wouldn’t be operative after, certainly not to run around the film later) but I doubt it’s based on a virus.

1 Like

You´re right. Watching it again it seems that it´s about Bond infiltrating a gathering and then being singled out and, well, taken out. Maybe it´s just sleep-inducing, with Bond being captured.

Or it has to do with Safin´s particular plans. He is talking about staying strong after his death - whatever that will entail. Also, Satin is talking about Bond as like looking into a mirror. His spiel might be about DNA cloning, and maybe he wants to “play God” by taking his DNA and Bond´s DNA, splicing it into one?

Hmm, too much DAD?

Adding to this: I do seem to detect people at this gathering not only taking steps back from Bond but also falling to the floor.

And Satin does say: “your skills die with your body, mine will live on”. So he is trying to overcome death in a particular way.

2 Likes

Safin?

3 Likes

Silverfin?

2 Likes

Which could invite commentary from Bond on the way he approaches life, perhaps a spin on “I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.”

3 Likes

Good that Fukunaga cleared this up:

2 Likes