No Time to Die theme song

Tense times.

1 Like

You must not have been a fan very long, then. I’ve had that sentiment about three times.

1 Like

raises eyebrow

Thanks, we appreciate that.

Gentlemen…

The obvious observation in a discussion about some piece of music is that not all will agree. How many times one absolutely needs to voice one’s dissent is debatable - I’ve heard of people doing nothing but, simply because their minds have never been on speaking terms with the concept of ‘enough’. Hard to say how much the hundredth time of ‘this is SO awful’ is really contributing to discussion.

4 Likes

I suppose it’s understandable if you have the short term memory loss from Memento…

1 Like

There are songs that are hot for more than 6 months. Some of the songs in the UK chart have been there for a year.

Ed Sheeran’s “Perfect” has been in the UK Top 100 since late 2017.

It’s just as likely that Billie will be back at No. 1 in November when the movie is released.

1 Like

Fair enough, although the “fool me once, fool me twice” hook, I believe, is very similar to “how do I live, how do I breathe” from Sam Smith’s “Writings on the Wall”.

4 Likes

It’s all about tone to me. Others may feel different but Smith’s delivery of those lyrics isn’t to my tastes, and I find it awkward to listen to. NTTD with Eilish has a sleek darkness that builds into a satisfying release. Check out @antovolk’s new fan trailer - the song works amazingly well.

3 Likes

i think just thematically there is a big problem with a James Bond theme song, ostensibly written from the POV of the James Bond character saying “How do I live, how do i breathe, when you’re not here I’m suffocating” - which is not something the character has ever felt nor something that is expressed in the film either… vs. Eilish’s song which is more about being betrayed - That’s always been my issue with WOTW - NTTD whether you like the instrumentation or singing is perfectly in keeping with the character etc…

5 Likes

Fair enough.

Good point.

Spot on. :+1:

Turns out not all covers improve on the original. But first, here’s a good one with an arrangement that adds a bit more Barry guitar licks than the original song:

This one, however, is a bit of a disappointment. The group, Our Last Night, released an amazing cover of Skyfall back in '12, and I was happy to see that they did a cover of NTTD. Unfortunately, they went the shouty route with their version, not my cup of tea:

1 Like
1 Like

Regarding the song I think Eilish is in a unique position. She got the first few pages of the script with what we can assume the central motif of the film reflected in these.

I don’t know about the briefing other artists received for their efforts but I think the muted and toned down atmosphere of No Time To Die, the song, befits the film better than most other styles would. This is, in its impact, probably on par with All The Time In The World, only arriving from the other direction.

3 Likes

Imagine if the trio (Billie, Finneas, Han) recorded an original end song and released it just prior to the film.

4 Likes

Oh maybe something along the line will happen. I can imagine a second song would greatly help kicking off a second promo campaign in time.

2 Likes

Just posted by Q the Music:

3 Likes
1 Like