No Time to Die theme song

It’s hilarious - the stuffed cat is actually a stuffed ice bear! :joy:

(…and another guy is stroking a pink piggy bank…)

1 Like

This is great.

I am fascinated by dubbing movies into another language.

Dietmar Wunder relies on the success of Daniel Craig as an actor, as well as Adam Sandler. As soon as those actors stop making movies, as a dubbing actor you suddenly have less work! Also if an actor dies, their voice can live on through the dubbing actor. For example the voice of Kermit the Frog, Jim Henson, died in 1990. But Kermit’s German voice can live on! And while in the English speaking world, we needed replacements for Kermit, other countries could still listen to the original!

2 Likes

Yes, the dubbing process is quite fascinating. Can’t really tell how it is in other countries, but in Germany, they’re putting a lot of effort into this. I’ve interviewed Wunder about it, and he told me many interesting things. Starts with the translation. They first get the original script, translate it, then have to check if the translation works with lip-synchronisation (and eventually adapt accordingly), then it is re-translated for the original studio in order to get greenlit.

But most of these voice actors don’t just rely on one actor. Some of them (like Wunder) also do dialogue direction for the entire movie, they do voice-over for documentaries, and audiobooks have opened up a brand new field for those guys.

Some of them even gather a certain popularity. Robert de Niro’s German voice Christian Brückner is well known, and Wunder also is quite popular (when I interviewed he was just doing some commercials for Porsche).

Connery’s voice, G.G. Hoffmann, was known as the “King of dubbing voices”. Among others, he was James Bond (also for Lazenby), Captain Kirk, John Steed, Django, Paul Temple, Perry Mason and Fletcher Christian. And the voice-over for the Pink Panther toons.

Another legend is Thomas Danneberg. He did (among others) Dan Aykroyd, John Travolta, Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger (he did both in The Expendables), Nick Nolte and John Cleese.

3 Likes

I lived in Germany for 18 months in the mid-90s and I watched a few movies dubbed. It was interesting as some of them were very close to the original actor’s voice but some were amusingly wrong.

Eddie Murphy’s dubbing actor for example was fine for Eddie’s crazy, off-the-wall moments, but not at all right for the serious lines in some movies.

I also saw a movie in Latvia which was dubbed. This was unusual in that one man did all the voices and didn’t bother changing his voice for the different characters which had me in hysterics. You could also just hear the original English underneath! Just when it couldn’t get any funnier, the voice over guy started talking when nothing was happening! Perhaps he was commenting on the scenery?!

2 Likes

Ref your last line, I watched, or was glancing at something I evidently did not understand, a programme in Poland.

As well as the dubbing, there is also commentary. Thinking if the original programme came without commentary, then the content as it was, should have been fine once words were dubbed. Was this not superfluous, I asked.

It’s the way it’s always been, was answered.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting. I’m a broken record but I really do love this song. Particularly from the male point of view - the power of walking away and meaning it.

2 Likes

Dietmar Wunder should’ve been Oberhauser. The fact it’s actually Bond’s voice in the German dub would add to the idea that Oberhauser thinks Bond essentially stole what should have been his life.

1 Like

About that guy talking over the audible original lines and when nobody talks: we* have an option for the audio track especially for blind/visually impaired viewers. On that track the scenery is described between the lines, which sounds a bit like that experience mentioned. Could be that’s done together with a translation in some countries.

*in Germany & not for every production evidently

Totally, every time I hear it, I get so excited about the prospect of seeing this movie!

1 Like

You will definitely like The Seahorses “Blinded by the Sun”, one of the best breakup songs from a male perspective, and in my Top 10 greatest songs of all time.

2 Likes

That makes sense for 2021, for sure.

My story was from 1996. The TV I was watching it on in Latvia didn’t even have a remote.

1 Like

1996, that was another age for dubbing in Eastern Europe. They probably had a long backlog and just letting one actor do everything without much direction was likely the most effective way to deal with it.

1 Like
4 Likes

Original demo released as part of a limited edition vinyl BILLIE EILISH: NO TIME TO DIE (Original Demo) - YouTube

1 Like

I like some of the things she did with her voice but without the orchestra it never really took off. Don’t hate it though.

Having heard it a couple of times recently, it’s much better than I thought it would be. Still interested to see how it works with the credit sequence, however.

Dalton, buddy, how have you not seen this yet? I’ve seen it 9 times, three on two rentals!

2 Likes

Had some problems come up the past two weekends when I had planned to watch it. Now that we’re so close to the Blu-ray release, I’m not really sure I can justify spending $20 on it when I’ll be spending that again in a couple of weeks to purchase it, so it’ll be another three weeks or so, I guess.

Can’t say it often enough: go see it at the cinema.

1 Like

The cinema is not in any way a possibility. There is a better statistical chance of me having Daniel Craig hand-deliver an advance copy of the 4K Blu-ray tomorrow morning along with the keys to my very own Aston Martin than there is of me walking into a cinema.

7 Likes