NO TIME TO DIE - title discussion AND POLL

It’s a very decent title, but more importantly a great mission statement. I am enjoying EONs FU to the traditional press.
Title - a bit generic yes but very memorable.
The promo - as good as Goldeneye " you can still depend on one man" imo.
The retro style- the font reference the sixties and seventies , the monchrome eighties and the logo is very nineties.
What I really love though is the cheeky nod to Doctor No in the dissolving dots of the titles

3 Likes

! Someone’s being playing with numbers… Very astute.

No problem, just come up with a better title (e.g., Skyfall). This one is seriously lacking, sounds like a Columbo episode.

1 Like

It’s very much a statement of intent.

2 Likes

Named after a Cubby Broccoli, Terence Young, Richard Maibaum film :wink:

5 Likes

It is a Columbo title …

4 Likes

It was a Columbo episode (@Stbernard beat me to it).

But I really think the idea is to underline the firm intention that Bond won’t die. Especially with the BS campaign parts of the media seem to ride against - then - BOND 25.

2 Likes

Actually made up the Columbo thing! Who knew (other than Google). Still don’t like it but the Broccoli / Terence Young reference warms me up to it a little. Just a wee bit.

1 Like

Equally possibly more will like it…? Seems an odd way to look at it.

1 Like

So my first reaction was, “Meh”.
A few minutes on and I’m over myself and am getting seriously excited.
Very elegant and understated reveal: well played Eon!

4 Likes

Absolutely, goes for all options.

EDIT: And evidently it can also grow on people.

There are plenty of good Fleming chapter titles left, as a trawl through the books will reveal.
As for No Time to Die, someone online said it sounded like the product of a Bond Title Generator.
Unoriginal, uncreative, and fanfictionish–the worst Bond title since Die Another Day. They had five years to think up a title, and the best they could do was pick the title of one of the worst episodes of Columbo and tart it up with font from the Love Boat.

3 Likes

Still love it.

2 Likes

I’m seriously sceptic about Fleming chapter titles. Sure, there are a few that would lend itself to a story we could think up* - but what would be the point, when the actual meaning and context are no longer there? Would that not also be fan fiction, of another dimension but still essentially pointless?

*Property of a Lady(**) possibly being a no-brainer since the 007 ‘reveal’ - but I get the distinct feeling this is not about a lady at all.

(**)And evidently Property of a Lady isn’t a chapter title, just to make sure.

1 Like

If the meaning and context of the original happen to be echoed or rhymed in the new story, then I don’t see the problem. And a good, appropriate chapter title would at least be authentic Fleming, rather than sounding like fanfiction or a bland action film. I don’t mind if the screenwriters invent an original title either, but surely they could have come up with something more original than what they did.

2 Likes

TND would have been good if they made it clear it was the newspaper - have Carver say, “My business will last forever, Mr Bond. Tomorrow never dies!”

I immediately thought of The Love Boat too when I saw it.

As for the title, my initial thought was: great another one with the word Die in it. (Like Odd_jobbies I regret we didn’t get Tomorrow Never Lies as a title–stupid typo had to go and ruin everything. :slight_smile:)

But the more I think about it, I find No Time To Die is ok. It’s not a great title, but it is acceptable, and combined with Jim’s great insight of it having a double meaning to punk all the naysayers and uplift/encourage the fans, I like it more. In that respect, I approve.

2 Likes

Probably fewer decent chapter titles than we remember but a few (Whisper of Hate, The Long Scream, The Death Collector).

Some other chapter titles and Fleming riffs that fans love but may conjure a tweet storm of ridicule (My Enemy’s Enemy (in his personal notebook as a potential future title), The Undertaker’s Wind, Shatterhand, Shamelady - although they still pulled off Octopussy, remember the buzz that created?)

Of course you can work too hard to back into some of these titles (hello Quantum of Solace although still they made good with The Spy Who Love Me).

Still don’t see why the continuation novels are off limits - $, legal, perhaps staying true to Fleming and/or originals.

Colonel Sun is brilliant but maybe too specific but Zero Minus Ten, Icebreaker, Carte Blanche, Devil May Care, Seafire, Cold - note: no “dies” - could be used for just about anything.

Maybe the new title will grow on me. I like the Broccoli/ Young / Maibum riff. But then someone pointed out the Love Boat font.
Not helping.

1 Like

I like the reveal and the old school font. The title sounds a bit generic. I don’t really see how it’s a patch on “A Reason to Die” other than it’s harder for critics to work it into negative reviews where ARTD on the one hand feels like free ammo calling for the Bond series to end.

It’ll do.

Alternatively: way better than Forever And A Day and Trigger Mortis!

1 Like