The Rhythm Section (EON Productions)

Terrific material indeed - and filmed pretty ingeniously.

1 Like

Reminds me in a good way of Bullitt

2 Likes

I wasn’t expecting anything from this but that single take chase is pretty high quality. Cool stuff.

1 Like

She’s right inside the action - and from the clip it’s clear she’s not just some super spy clone that happens to have XX chromosomes. I like that a lot.

3 Likes

It’s got that Greengrass sensibility with none of his unnecessary camera motion and nausea-inducing zooms and shaking. Highly impressive stuff for sure! I am much more intrigued than I was before.

2 Likes

Ah, you´re one of those people who think everyone has got to be racist because they didn´t like the cinematographic masterpieces Ghostbusters and MIB…

I meant the half the box office remark. Paul Frieg’s Ghostbusters had its own problems long before trolls scared of women got involved.

1 Like

Yes, that´s my opinion too. The same goes for MIB International. Every bad movie uses the easy racist or feminism card, no one ever blames the script or bad acting anymore…

I’m not sure about “anymore” – the movie biz has a long history of blaming anything other than the script for poor box office, when a huge amount of the time it’s the written word. Maybe because a lot of studio execs don’t understand screenwriting? RIP William Goldman.

1 Like

You´re probably right, if possible they always use the easy way out…so TV snatched all the good writers today?

Perhaps more like the projects of the good writers are so seldom done for cinema today - though in all fairness it’s less the writers than the studios who shape the films. Writers write what studios/producers/directors/leading actors demand of them. Delivering on these demands and handing in a decent script that’s turned into a fine film is already a little miracle.

2 Likes

Also, the armchair critic (audience) so easily dismisses the work of the people onscreen without really knowing or appreciating the craft that went into it. We´re not talking C-movie, direct-to-video cynical money-grabbing scheme-filmmaking, of course.

But every other production really tries to do their best. And even the blockbuster genre pictures can have great scripts without becoming serious arthouse films. In fact, a Bond film can have a great script, meaning a well-crafted story that is told imaginatively and embraces the constraints of the genre with aplomb.

Only we never see the script, we see the end result which is generations removed from the beginning, with every other factor of production having brought on changes.

In the end, it´s like the guy sitting in his lazy chair, drinking beer and stuffing himself with fast food while screaming at the telly because his soccer team is not running fast enough or can’t score a goal. Easy to complain, difficult to actually do it.

2 Likes

This is why the internet is full of people who think they can be screenwriters or casting directors because they think the actual job is as easy as posting in forums.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Looks fan-bloody-tastic! This should seem the through to April no problem

she looks like she´s wearing a dead cat on her head…should have used the people who did the wigs for The Americans.

1 Like

Blofeld’s cat - first clue of a bondverse :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I love this trailer, too! Why did they hide the film for so long? This should be major news, a huge release, placed in summer!

the movie does indeed look good. gritty and intense, This car chase and some of the scenes remind me of The Bourne Supremacy for some reason

The same documentary style camera set up was used by Greengrass on his Bourne movies. Reed Morano builds on it rather than aping it, going by that clip.

2 Likes