Who do you want for Bond 7?

I was under the impression that he was up for ‘C’ but they had to go with the more affordable Andrew Scott.

1 Like

It was when C was the main villain, but as the role became smaller they went for a smaller name.

1 Like

Was C going to be revealed as Blofeld?

No. Blofeld wasn’t in it at all at that point. 18 Spectre Secrets Exclusively Revealed By Sam Mendes | Movies | %%channel_name%%

"There was a long period in the script, and this is months before we started, where it actually flipped and it turned out that he was the person who was running the show; the person that Bond had been looking for all along. Blofeld didn’t feature in that version of the story. It was a long time ago. But he was a very easy figure to find parallels for in the contemporary political world. And look, not all of them deserve death by Ralph Fiennes from a great height, so please don’t quote me as saying I’m all in favour of killing the head of MI5.

The argument he dramatises makes concrete the argument that it’s better to operate through drones and surveillance and not put men on the ground and not endanger innocent lives, or our own innocent lives. In a sense, he was essential in a world where MI5 and MI6 are no longer accepted as the good guys, but the public has a more ambivalent relationship with the security services. It was essential that we dramatised that aspect of it through a character that wasn’t Bond so we could set Bond and M up as, within that world, the good guys. That’s being very crude about it, but it’s true. C embodies all the things I most dislike about the security services. The obsessive need for surveillance, the sharing of surveillance between international security organisations, the fact that they are immensely powerful, unelected and almost entirely unknown to us. And the fact that drone warfare is encouraged. M has a very good speech about this, I think, where he says, ‘to kill a man you have to look him in the eye and the licence to kill is also a licence not to kill’, and all the bugs, drones and surveillance in the world can’t make up for that…"

It is THAT version that they were thinking Ejiofor.

2 Likes

So this Big Bad C version being post Logan’s african warlord draft/treatment(?), could it be that Ejiofors name came up for the Warlord and stayed in the mix for The Big C, before Eon won the write to use ‘Blofeld’’, demoting Big C to Little C, causing Ejiofor to pass.

If they hadn’t taken the Obehauser route then Ejiofor might’ve been Blofeld, but I guess they want a white guy to blur the line between step brother/real brother!

Looking forward to a special edition doc that fully explains all of this at some point in the distant future.

I’m assuming before, but honestly I don’t know, I just know that they decided not to ask Ejiofor when C became a secondary antagonist.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to clarify that best as can be done, though. Appreciated.

2 Likes

That’s another one off the list

What makes you say that? I don’t mind either way, though.

Anyone mentioned in British tabloids is automatically out of the running as we decided earlier in this thread

5 Likes

He moves well and has a good screen presence in Outlander. The drama in said show (which is a guilty pleasure of mine) can verge into melodrama, so it’s difficult to judge his chops. But he does everything asked of him in the show very well and that’s all one can expect. I’m sure given the opportunities he’ll grow as an actor and will be a good Bond. Physically he’d walk it and I to, being of Scots heritage, would love to see a Scottish Bond.

But at 38 and bond 25 not out for a year the clock is ticking.

1 Like

At first sight it seems wrong, what with Thor etc., but i’ve said it before, he’d be a good choice.

But he has the charm, timing, presence and enough chops when needed (very good in Rush). Don’t let the bulk fool you, he’s a clever, witty bloke and he’ll certainly be in the mix.

With all the talent present in the Avengers movies, he owns the screen; even stealing Downey Jnr’s limelight and that’s saying something.

And at 35 he’ll just squeeze into it when Bond 25’s done and dusted. I’d be amazed if he doesn’t get an audition.

He does have screen presence, he can do drama and comedy. For my taste he still seems to be too young and too… uh… mighty.

But with more lines on his face, much less muscles (he will enjoy not going to the gym that often or kill off generations of chicken)… yeah, maybe.

Hemsworth is a good actor buuuuuttttt… he is too “beachy” for Bond (not a blonde thing, an attitude thing, he doesn’t have the cynical English soul to him that Bond needs imo, like he can rattle off one liners) - and I don’t know if I can stomach a Home And Away 007. He strikes me as more of a Fast and Furious/Mission Impossible kinda spy than a James Bond kinda spy.

Goes with him being Australian. He’d be excellent in MI. The best MCU picks would either have to be Tom Hiddleston or, honestly, Cumberbatch.

Lazenby was a good Bond, I don’t think its unthinkable for an Aussie to play Bond again - just not him. Tom Holland could grow into it, MCU wise - hes only 20ish right now so he’s a possibility - my take is that a good Bond usually doesnt make a good superhero and vice versa - I could deal with Hiddleston or Cumberbatch if needs be.

I’m not sure I could see Holland doing it, personally. I actually see him more of an Indiana Jones type of action hero. There’s nothing cynical about him. Of course, maybe that’s because he’s only 22…

I mean hes playing a wide eyed teenage Spider-man too its hard to judge him on Bond right now, plus hes young - give him 10-15 years who knows.

2 Likes

Right now, yes, judging from what he has done so far. But a good actor can also do things that he wasn’t allowed a chance to do yet.

2 Likes