Who do you want for Bond 7?

The first thing I thought of when I saw the headline on my phone was that Truss was now the George Lazenby of Prime Ministers, but immediately wondered why I should denigrate Lazenby. After all, the mini-budget will always lose to OHMSS in any of Jim’s Deathmatches. Even Wade and Purvis never wrote anything that bad.

8 Likes

Try living in America, our own politicians last for decades longer than they should! Mitch McConnell vomit!

2 Likes

Just a reminder that we usually don’t discuss politics here :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

7 Likes

Understood. Sorry rough day at work.

No problem. As I said, just a reminder for everyone. :wink:

4 Likes

Sorry, I will behave. It is just that you have all made me so Bond-centric that when I saw the headline on my phone, I instinctively reached for a 007 metaphor–drawn like a moth to a flame.

5 Likes

Was my point. I’m going to ignore the ageism (what kind of film is 70 year old Liam Neeson currently in a niche of?) Eon and MGM/Amazon will want someone who is only seen as James Bond. Cavill now has two huge characters that he is still playing and acclaimed for, even when the films themselves aren’t.

3 Likes

In the past, coming runner up or being on the shortlist meant you had a good chance sometime in the future. But nobody is owed anything. The stars have to align for it to be your time, meaning some actors who could have landed the role haven’t and never will due to scheduling and age. For example, if Craig left after SPECTRE or NTTD wasn’t delayed repeatedly the situation would be different again.

4 Likes

He would have been about 25 at the time and had only a few TV episodes to his name…

2 Likes

Henry Cavill wasn’t exactly a household name by that time, too, and he was even younger.

2 Likes

I recall there were a few young, lesser know actors on the shortlist. After a bit of Googling I was a able to dig this up from July '05.

And these names are by no means exhaustive.

3 Likes

Do 42 year old people already write memoirs now?

If by 42 you’ve been an actor, producer, entrepreneur, philanthropist and #1 New York Times best selling author of 2 books?

Go ahead, I say…

1 Like

Just finished watching ‘The English’, Emily Blunt’s Western on Amazon/BBC - Tom Hughes (he’s 37 so sort of the right age but could be a bit old if they want younger Bond, though he looks young) had a certain Dalton/Bond energy to him that could be interesting. Really good series too!

1 Like

Whether The Sun is to be believed, they’ve put out a story claiming Aaron Taylor Johnson is a ‘front runner’ for the role after taking part in a ‘secret screen test’. Credibility of that claim aside, I could see the upsides of Johnson. He’s 33 and has the appearance of a younger Cavill or Brosnan type. He’s known but not a huge name. I imagine he’d encounter early opposition but that’s nothing new.

3 Likes

Tenet or his cameo in The Kings Man would definitely show potential, though I see most jumping on Kick Ass in that “charming” way that people pick out their most non-Bond moments in their career when the new guy gets cast.

Don’t know him or recognize him.

Didn’t EON say they would not think about casting for quite some time?

Sure, could be a way to divert attention. But we‘ve been on that road before with Owen etc.

If they leak him as being a frontrunner at this time, I believe he is out and allowed to enjoy his fifteen minutes of media attention.

Golden Rule: They’re out as soon as their names are discussed in the papers - unless the announcements happens the day after. :laughing:
With the exception of Brosnan (and Moore to a certain extent) came out of left field.

4 Likes

It’s when a name absolutely no-one had thought about suddenly gets huge amounts of bets as the next actor. Same thing happens with Doctor Who.

3 Likes

I would personally be fine with seeing Aaron Taylor-Johnson take on the role. He’s got an edge that I think will remain in the character thanks to the Craig era, but he’s also good with lighter comedic fare, such as was shown in Bullet Train. He’s got the physicality and is the perfect age. His level of fame is right in line with past actors to get the role. That said, he is being touted in the press, which never seems to bode well.

5 Likes